Topic categories:

News, Media and Current Affairs

Today! (Current Coventry Issues)

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 676 to 690 of 690 posts

Page 46 of 46

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .... 40 . 42 43 44 45 46
No actionNo action
690 posts:
Order:    

Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
676 of 690  Fri 10th Apr 2020 10:54am  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:472

No, as Slim said it's an abbreviation of 'Flickers' !
News, Media and Current Affairs - Today! (Current Coventry Issues)
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
677 of 690  Fri 10th Apr 2020 3:16pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3549

Thanks for the theories lads, you wouldn't want to have a squint would you Lol
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
678 of 690  Sat 25th Apr 2020 3:21pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4362

Hi all, One issue that this pandemic has highlighted is just how vulnerable some of our communities are, whether aged or infirm. We have seen the insurgence of online deliveries of essential basic grocery suppliers. Those with internet skills access relatively easily, but as we have found out, so many in our community do not have the basic online skills. Our local corner shop is delivering to those in our immediate neighbourhood, but from telephone ordering. If prohibition of mass meeting hubs like pubs, restaurants & so on are maybe going to be continuing for months ahead, could we imagine Wetherspoons arriving by delivery van? I was very pleasantly surprised when at a birthday celebration a couple of years ago, a fish & chip van had been hired. It was fab, or should I say brill! I'm not so silly as to not realise that there may be issues for a home cooked food delivery industry, but why not? Beer at home used to mean Davenports, so tonight’s meal will be delivered by Wetherspoons. I wonder what their ding dong tune would be. If I was of normal working age, I would be looking at the viability of such an operation, maybe an improvement on the "just eat" business, of which there is currently much criticism. Bye for now.
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
679 of 690  Sat 25th Apr 2020 3:52pm  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:303

Hi Phil, You mean like this - A Belfast pub is pulling out all the stops a door-to-door Guinness delivery service. Unfortunately it may not be legal. Peter.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
680 of 690  Sat 25th Apr 2020 4:12pm  

Hi Peter, My notion is more for a complete meal element, not just the booze. Amended street vendor legislation might be needed, as said there are issues to overcome. My local Chinese takeaway has a delivery service, but I'm looking at the possibility of the cooking being carried out on the van. Forty years ago, my parents had a cooked food delivery van that served them in Bodmin, which included fast cooked food. A bit like a Wimpy on wheels!
Disorganised1
Coventry
All posts by this member
681 of 690  Sat 25th Apr 2020 6:24pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2012  Total posts:255

When I was camping in Cornwall there was a van that did just this. Turning up at the campsite, putting out some tables, and you could either eat there, or take back to your tent. Admittedly a very limited menu, everything fried, but perhaps they knew their client base.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
682 of 690  Sun 26th Apr 2020 6:45pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2229

Not sure about a mobile vehicle with hot stuff in the back. I did wonder if fast food should move the counter to the doorway and make customers queue outside. Alternative click and collect.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
683 of 690  Sun 26th Apr 2020 8:44pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1753

We used to have a fish and chip van round on Friday night for a while.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
684 of 690  Sun 26th Apr 2020 9:15pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5631

We have a local pub who deliver hot meals, including Sunday roasts. The Cornish Pasty bakery in town delivers hot and cold food. A fish ‘n’ chip franchise delivers to our village one lunchtime and one evening each week. These are all additional services since the start of the lockdown. 👍
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
685 of 690  Sun 26th Apr 2020 10:45pm  

Hi all, Thank you all for responding to my favourite subject of food. For a number of years, I was involved with work for Whitbread, the one area where I did travel by car, along the A14. There were refreshment stops along the route, but travelling with a company rep on one occasion, he recommended a layby trailer vendor. After that, I never stopped anywhere else. This vendor had roast joints, as well as the traditional fast food varieties. Please keep your ideas & experiences coming. We might all need them for our next forum meetup. We could hire a field & book a mobile vendor!!! Happy Roll eyes
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
686 of 690  Sun 26th Apr 2020 11:29pm  

There was a butchers in Nuneaton that did fantastic hot roast pork and crackling batches. Mmmmm. The US pulled pork obsession has ruined a good roast pork butty. However when it comes to mobile food, I had a sudden longing for a soft serve ice cream in a proper sugar cone yesterday. No sauce, just a discreet flake or two.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
687 of 690  Mon 27th Apr 2020 1:21pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3549

Ho Helen, you and your naughty ways, I've gone and added ice cream on my shopping list for the weekend. Wink
argon
New Milton
All posts by this member
688 of 690  Mon 27th Apr 2020 3:59pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:354

Helen, I have been trying to remember the name of the Nuneaton butcher, was it Biffins do you know.
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
689 of 690  Mon 27th Apr 2020 5:16pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:894

If anyone is craving a roast pork sandwich, baguette, or of course a batch, all is not lost once places start to reopen. There is a place in Coventry Market which does them to perfection, complete with stuffing, gravy, apple sauce and crackling as required. A real Coventry delicacy. It is by the exit into Sherbourne Arcade. I could just eat one now..... Wink
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
690 of 690  Thu 30th Apr 2020 12:05pm  

argon, I've really no idea what the butcher's was called. I only really started shopping in Nuneaton after I quit working for Courtaulds. I just stopped someone with one in their hand and asked where they got it. I used to treat myself to a trot round the charity shops and a pork batch which I wolfed in the car before my parking ticket ran out. I seem to remember that the counter was on the left as you went in. They'd dunk the bun in the juices if you asked nicely. Re covid19 and fast food, I'd be wary of food that wasn't piping hot or to be cooked at home before eating (eg I'd be cautious of the bun). Even before the pandemic I'd give any restaurant knife and fork a wipe down with the alcohol hand gel before using them. Apparently UV works on the virus quite quickly but I'm not sure that it would work on Mr Whippy. So Dreamtime is right, it's tub ice cream for the near future. Sad Smile (sad because I like soft serve but smile because tub ice cream is still yummy.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 676 to 690 of 690 posts

Page 46 of 46

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .... 40 . 42 43 44 45 46
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Christmas / New Year Wishes
|

Next (newer) topic

BBC Coventry & Warwickshire Local Radio
You are viewing topics in the News, Media and Current Affairs category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5

Website & counter by Rob Orland © 2020

Load time: 112ms