No actionNo action
59 posts:
Order:    

Tricia
Bedworth
All posts by this member
46 of 59  Tue 31st Jan 2012 7:43pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2011  Total posts:541

A great collection Morgana. I used to have a couple of Stratton compacts. Thumbs up
Memories and Nostalgia - Toiletries in the 40s, 50s and 60s
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
47 of 59  Tue 31st Jan 2012 8:04pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:1932

Thank you Tricia I just collect as so much history is being thrown away and forgotten, I gave all my grand daughter one each to chose for them selves, like ladies wind up watchs too they are not made any more either I have a few of them too, nowadays you have to pay for a battery need the tool or skill to open the back to get to the battery, or pay to have one fitted , years ago you just asked the time and wound them up I wonder are we going forward or backwards Wink Lol
mayjan
Green Lane,Coventry
All posts by this member
48 of 59  Tue 31st Jan 2012 8:47pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2010  Total posts:254

Hi Morgana,fab collection. I remember having a Stratton compact mine had flowers on,wish I still had it,they were made to last. Thanks for showing us ladies such an interesting collection,regards Jan, Wave Thumbs up
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
49 of 59  Tue 31st Jan 2012 10:55pm  

Thank you , If you would like one Mayjan you are welcome to one if you can collect it, I have a lovely one which you can't see with a beautiful Red Rose on it, also one with flowers let me know and I shall give you my address by pm.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
50 of 59  Wed 1st Feb 2012 1:57am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3477

On 31st Jan 2012 7:18pm, morgana said: FOR THE LADIES Stratton & Vogue Compacts some mother of pearl some engine turned old lipsticks, little Rouge case in the middle and perfume bottles
Lovely collection Morgana. My mother used to have a little piano loose powder compact (baby grand) and the little lid would open to reveal the powder. My daughter has it now tucked away somewhere. I should imagine there would be lots of those about. Wave
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
51 of 59  Wed 1st Feb 2012 8:49am  

That sounds cute Dreamtime, I shall look out for one, I only pick these up when I use to go to car boots cheap, the lipsticks I found years ago fallen out of a dustbin. Smile
K
Somewhere
All posts by this member
52 of 59  Wed 1st Feb 2012 12:57pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:560

Stratton jewellery was made by George Laughton and Co of Birmingham. In the late 1960s I worked for a time at Eddystone Radio, in Alvechurch Road, Birmingham, which was originally started by Laughton's (they made the silver-plated tuning capacitors for radio sets, and decided to make the leap into the sets themselves) and Laughton's had a factory on the site that made compacts and lipstick holders for Yardley. It was a typical old fashioned Birmingham sweat shop in those days - employing mainly girls, but also lads, straight from school, who were fired when they reached 19 or 20 and would have been eligible for the full rate of pay. They made some very nice things; I don't know if they still exist, but I doubt it now. The Eddystone site certainly doesn't. Laughton's paid very low wages; when they owned Eddystone, out of 300 people, only two people were able to afford a car. Even the Chief Engineer could only afford a bike!! The factory was in the old West Heath swimming baths, where they decamped to after being bombed out in central Birmingham in 1941.
Mick Strong
Coventry
All posts by this member
53 of 59  Sat 14th Nov 2020 6:09pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2020  Total posts:368

PS Anyone remember Izal toilet paper - it was like crunchy greaseproof paper. Blush
The toilet paper in the works toilets at Wickmans said "WICKMAN NEWCOL, NOW WASH YOUR HANDS PLEASE" in green ink
Mick Strong

Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
54 of 59  Sat 14th Nov 2020 7:24pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2582

As a school kid Mick. Horrible.
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
55 of 59  Sat 14th Nov 2020 10:11pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:799

I certainly do. As a young'un, it seemed to be the only name you thought of when toilet paper was mentioned. I can still picture rolls of it on shelves in our family shop, and boxes of it in the storeroom. Medicated was a new word to me. Mick, your description of it is spot on. When I worked in Birmingham, it was in all the company loos (not sure about the directors' toilet though!), described by some as sandpaper. By then, toilet tissue was on the market. Hard and horrible, Izal didn't do what it said on the tin. Not wishing to go into graphical description of its effectiveness, let's just say it was not fit for purpose. It appears it may still be on the market: Izal toilet paper Coronation Street’s original name was Florizel Street, but was quickly dropped when somebody at Granada realised it would remind people of bog paper and disinfectants.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
56 of 59  Sat 14th Nov 2020 10:27pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5602

We sold it in our shop in Sussex at the start of the 21st century, with a couple of customers who purchased it regularly Oh my
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
57 of 59  Sun 15th Nov 2020 11:06am  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:473

It was great at school for wrapping round a comb to create a makeshift 'Kazoo'!
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
58 of 59  Sun 15th Nov 2020 11:08am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3773

My dad had a bone-handled cut-throat razor that just folded up the blade into a metal groove of the handle, and a leather strop hanging up by the side of a small mirror. He would strop for ages until he had a sharp edge, soap was Cussons washing soap, get a good lather then he would raise this razor to his throat and I would cringe and close my eyes. We all used Eucryl from a tin, and I still use it today. I could always crack cob nuts with my teeth, still can, always looked white and still have most, so it did me no harm. PS. The wooden backyard sit over bucket was our private reading room.
Mick Strong
Coventry
All posts by this member
59 of 59  Sun 13th Dec 2020 6:30pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2020  Total posts:368

Washing hands after a day’s work from working with cast iron. We are around the communal circular trough with running water, hands dipped in Boraxo powder. Rough stuff. We then had green paper towels to dry our hands on.
Mick Strong

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 46 to 59 of 59 posts

Page 4 of 4

1 2 3 4
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Food and drink
|

Next (newer) topic