Next pageNo action
30 posts:
Order:    

rehydratecoventry
coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 30  Mon 29th Jan 2018 3:37pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2018  Total posts:7

I want to create a list of the disused drinking fountains around Coventry, with a view to getting them restored and turned on again. Do you know of any? Even better have you got any pictures of their current/former state? They have restored the one in Earlsdon by the Memorial Park, and we want to get them to restore/install new ones across the city. Thanks for any help. We are starting the campaign today and we welcome any help offered! We are on twitter @hydrationstati3 and email via the contact button Edited by Midland Red, 29th Jan 2018 7:38 pm (Email address removed for security - contact button available for forum members use)
Drinking fountains in Coventry
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
2 of 30  Mon 29th Jan 2018 7:02pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1056

The only drinking fountain I know of was the one that stood outside St John's. Very fancy affair. While I love tap water, I wouldn't want to drink from a drinking fountain unless it could be protected from people accidentally or deliberately contaminating it. A foot trigger rather than a handle would be better too. But offering more hydration gets my thumbs up. Thumbs up Thumbs up Edited by member, 29th Jan 2018 7:03 pm
coventry49
Devon
All posts by this member
3 of 30  Mon 29th Jan 2018 8:49pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2015  Total posts:179

I think there may have been an old one in Stoke Green, somewhere near the paddling pool and a more modern one inside the Memorial Park, one you had to put your mouth over and get a face full!
OldCaludonian
Peak District
All posts by this member
4 of 30  Mon 29th Jan 2018 9:54pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2016  Total posts:10

You perhaps know of the water trough erected by the Coventry Chain Company on Hearsall Common as a memorial to the 47 employees who died in Great War. The actual trough has been lost but the impressive 'tower' has been re-erected in Spon End. See the Coventry Society website.
Martin Brayne

coventry49
Devon
All posts by this member
5 of 30  Tue 30th Jan 2018 9:31am  
Member: Joined Jan 2015  Total posts:179

Speaking of troughs - there was a Victorian horse trough on the London Road, at the bottom of the common not far from the end of Daventry Road in the direction of the city centre. I know it was still there in the 1950s/60s.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
6 of 30  Tue 30th Jan 2018 11:51am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4961

Cattle trough, Stoke Green - 15 Jul 2013
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
7 of 30  Tue 30th Jan 2018 12:28pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1777

Rob 'saved' this pair from the Council Library collection -
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
8 of 30  Tue 30th Jan 2018 1:42pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4961

Top one looks like Priory Street, with the Art School in the background No sign of any bus shelters in Pool Meadow though Wink
Ronald34
coventry
All posts by this member
9 of 30  Tue 30th Jan 2018 1:43pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2017  Total posts:8

There used to be a horse drinking trough in Queen's Road, not far from Percy Blamire's garage. It may have been removed when the tram lines were taken up.
rehydratecoventry
coventry
All posts by this member
10 of 30  Tue 30th Jan 2018 8:17pm  

Thanks for all the help so far! If you can think of any others please let us know.
Garlands Joke Shop
Coventry
All posts by this member
11 of 30  Tue 30th Jan 2018 8:28pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:183

On 30th Jan 2018 1:43pm, Ronald34 said: There used to be a horse drinking trough in Queen's Road, not far from Percy Blamire's garage. It may have been removed when the tram lines were taken up.
Is this the drinking fountain/trough you're referring to? This water fountain/trough is dedicated to Caroline (Cara) Bray (1814-1905) and her husband Charles Bray (1811-1884). Here is another view of the trough from the side. Edited by member, 30th Jan 2018 9:26 pm
Ronald34
coventry
All posts by this member
12 of 30  Tue 30th Jan 2018 11:40pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2017  Total posts:8

I don't ever recall it looking so good as the photo. Although I cannot believe there could have been two so close together.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
13 of 30  Wed 31st Jan 2018 7:36am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1056

Not the same thing as drinking fountains but I know where some of the hand pumps (like the picture above), conduits and wells were. If they're of interest?
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
14 of 30  Wed 31st Jan 2018 10:14am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2213

Why does anyone want to create drinking fountains or horse troughs? They're a devil to keep clean, easy to spread disease, get misused, not pretty or necessary. Nearly every household had one (hand pump) in the twenties, cost the ratepayers a bomb to get rid of them. Looks like they will be used for flowers more than water. There was a detective book about horse troughs that was amusing.
rehydratecoventry
coventry
All posts by this member
15 of 30  Wed 31st Jan 2018 2:04pm  

People are buying a lot more bottled water, personally I have changed what I drink over the past 10 years from pop etc to mainly water and I think a lot of people have done the same. Firstly you have the plastic and waste. Secondly you have the added transport etc - bringing water from France in bottles to the UK. Thirdly the cost! Fourthly bringing these brilliant bits of local history back to working order. And finally being hydrated can never be a bad thing. It's nothing revolutionary, just seems like good common sense to me. Although I agree the horse troughs might not be the most practical solution.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 30 posts

Page 1 of 2

1 2
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Little Palace Yard
|

Next (newer) topic

Gosford Street