No actionNo action
62 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
61 of 62  Tue 24th Nov 2020 11:46am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3773

My father had five brothers, five sisters, all married, all had kids, so on Sundays, grandma had over twenty people to tea. All had their own thoughts and worries. By the time I was ten I listened to scores of debates. Coventry sat in plush seats in cinemas, saw the blitz coming from ten years before, day by day it edged nearer. Really started sooner, end of WWI and France and Britain lost a lot of men, wanted to punish Germany, so they took a lot of land from them. Germany was angry. so some like Hitler worked their way up the ladder - soon they were in control. He gave them employment etc. Lindberg, an American, solo flight over the Atlantic, sensational, became hero and top boy in the world. Göring invited him to see the German airmen and planes - he did, he brought back photos, information, performance. Like Göring he claimed they were the best, could never be beaten and a lot of bragging. The Americans dropped him like a hot potato, labelled him traitor. 1934 saw Hitler’s wildest speech, annihilation of the Jewish race, Czechoslovakia to be destroyed, all of Europe threatened. Meantime, talking pictures made more progress than others in the market. 1936 saw Spain in civil war, but we watched German planes bomb Spanish towns, buildings fell, fires spread, it was the begining of hell for most of Europe. Russia and Germany hated each other but signed a pact, so they could carve up Poland and we watched in horror at the bombing. Next came Lithuania, Latvia, then Yugoslavia, or maybe they were first. Britain and France knew they weren't ready for war so they tried appeasement - didn’t work. His planes bombed Belgium, Holland. We sat as he edged ever nearer France. Then Dunkirk - we watched the whole thing in full detail. In May the bombing started in England, ever nearer. And so it was our turn - the bombing started, and about the first place was Coventry’s newest cinema, the Rex, was hit three times in three different raids and totallly destroyed.
Wartime miscellany
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
62 of 62  Sat 28th Nov 2020 11:12am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3773

The extraordinary times we lived through during the war created some very funny experiences and manly powers. Quite a few soldiers had catalogues of condoms, the lowest price being sixpence. It would last a year if carefully washed, rubbed with French chalk, put away in a box. This low-priced item was called the workman’s friend, or the shelter’s best friend. ‘Three for 2/6d or you'll feel more through a 3/6d one, sir!’ said the chemist, as one soldier told me.
Wartime miscellany

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 61 to 62 of 62 posts

Page 5 of 5

1 2 3 4 5
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

City Centre South
|

Next (newer) topic

Computer hints and tips