Next pageNo action
29 posts:
Order:    

Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
1 of 29  Thu 8th Mar 2018 6:40pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1325

Those of you who watch QI might know this:- ( (12 + 144 + 20 + 3 Sqrt[4]) / 7 ) + 5*11 = 9² + 0 Express the equation as a limerick. Knowledge of old numeric quantities might help. Work out the following Mnemonics (the last three are all connected and are from school, you may have learned a different set) Mother Very Thoughtfully Made Another Jam Sandwich Under No Protest. Never Eat Shredded Wheat. Small Pink Hippos Tea Pot Bright Cold Boiled Ham Know any more mnemonics?
Non-Coventry - Mnemonics
AD
Allesley Park
All posts by this member
2 of 29  Thu 8th Mar 2018 9:18pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2011  Total posts:436

That mother very one doesn't work? Something like: Mother Very Earnestly Made Jam Sandwiches Until Night (there is no P now ;)) would work I think. (Are you adding in the A to include the belt?) NESW is the compass points Not got the last few Obviously there Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain I seem to remember one for Henry VIII. Something like All Boys Should Come Home Please. As for the limerick A dozen, a gross and a score Plus three times the square root of four Divided by seven Plus five times eleven Equals nine squared and nothing more Edited by member, 8th Mar 2018 9:36 pm
Non-Coventry - Mnemonics
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
3 of 29  Thu 8th Mar 2018 9:40pm  

Well done. The T is just another name for the same thing that could sound scary. I can't remember if P is in or out, it keeps changing but you missed A, so P can be in anyway because it's just the position, not the club. Thumbs up Yes, A is the belt. The rainbow is a good one and the Henry VIII is the first time I've heard that one. Great. Edited by member, 8th Mar 2018 10:21 pm
Non-Coventry - Mnemonics
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 29  Thu 15th Mar 2018 3:10pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:503

A couple of simple music ones Every Good Boy Deserves Favour Eddy Ate Dynamite GoodBye Eddie and an old one from school BODMAS
Non-Coventry - Mnemonics
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
5 of 29  Sat 17th Mar 2018 12:21pm  

Mother Very Thoughtfully Made Another Jam Sandwich Under No Protest. Mercury, Venus, Terra (Earth), Mars, Asteroid belt, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto. Earnestly for earth would be even better. Never Eat Shredded Wheat. North, South, East, West clockwise. Small Pink Hippos Sine = Perpendicular over hypotenuse Tea Pot Bright Tangent = Perpendicular over base Cold Boiled Ham Cosine = Base over hypotenuse I've very rarely had to use any of the last 3 since I left school. From AD Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain = Colours of the Rainbow. All Boys Should Come Home Please. Catherine of Aragon m. 1509-1533. Annulled. Anne Boleyn m. 1533-1536. Executed. Jane Seymour m. 1536-1537. Died. Anne of Cleves m. 1540 Jan.-July Annulled. Kathryn Howard m. 1540-1542. Executed. Katherine Parr m. 1543-1547. Widowed. I've no idea about BODMAS
Non-Coventry - Mnemonics
AD
Allesley Park
All posts by this member
6 of 29  Sat 17th Mar 2018 12:40pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2011  Total posts:436

BODMAS is Brackets Of Divide Multiply Add Subtract Didn't know the trig ones - we were just taught SOHCAHTOA (pronounced Sock-A-Toe -A) Sine = Opposite/Hypotenuse Cosine = Adjacent/Hypotenuse Tangent = Opposite/Adjacent I think the Every Good Boy Deserves Favour is musical notes on paper (saying which ones are on each line)? I'm therefore assuming the second is musical too. Either black keys on a piano or guitar strings is my guess Edited by member, 17th Mar 2018 12:51 pm
Non-Coventry - Mnemonics
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
7 of 29  Sat 17th Mar 2018 12:45pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5247

Roll eyes Roll eyes
Non-Coventry - Mnemonics
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
8 of 29  Sat 17th Mar 2018 1:08pm  

Sorry MR Big grin mnemonics are only ever useful in pub quizzes when you're not allowed to use the internet.
Non-Coventry - Mnemonics
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
9 of 29  Sat 17th Mar 2018 4:32pm  

Ah! That explains why I've not understood any of this Blush
Non-Coventry - Mnemonics
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
10 of 29  Sat 17th Mar 2018 4:38pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:503

Yes AD you're right about BODMAS and Every Good Boy Deserves Favour being the lines on the treble stave (also an album by The Moody Blues). The third one is as you suspected guitar strings in standard tuning. I learnt all the trig ones as a triangle - works for anything with three terms. Let's face it MR some of us have got strange ideas of fun Big grin
Non-Coventry - Mnemonics
Beesman
Cornwall
All posts by this member
11 of 29  Sun 18th Mar 2018 3:16am  
Member: Joined Mar 2012  Total posts:370

The following was drilled into me whilst attending KHVIII many years ago: Some Men Have Easy Occupations. Alternatively: Should Mad Hatters Eat (Fresh) Oysters?
Non-Coventry - Mnemonics
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
12 of 29  Sun 18th Mar 2018 9:36am  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1410

On 17th Mar 2018 12:40pm, AD said: . . . . Didn't know the trig ones - we were just taught SOHCAHTOA (pronounced Sock-A-Toe -A) Sine = Opposite/Hypotenuse Cosine = Adjacent/Hypotenuse Tangent = Opposite/Adjacent
We were also taught that method in our first year at Stoke Park, but the inspirational Mrs. Sayers helped us remember it by: Sir Oliver's Horse Came Ambling Home To Oliver's Aunt And 3 decades or so later I still found that useful when I wanted to work out how to make our folding staircase for the attic! Big grin
Non-Coventry - Mnemonics
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
13 of 29  Sun 18th Mar 2018 11:03am  

On 18th Mar 2018 3:16am, Beesman said: The following was drilled into me whilst attending KHVIII many years ago: Some Men Have Easy Occupations. Alternatively: Should Mad Hatters Eat (Fresh) Oysters?
Oh dear! Blush For those of us who thought that our first language was English . . . . . Oh my
Non-Coventry - Mnemonics
Harrier
Coventry
All posts by this member
14 of 29  Sun 18th Mar 2018 1:20pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:163

On 15th Mar 2018 3:10pm, Old Lincolnian said: A couple of simple music ones Every Good Boy Deserves Favour Eddy Ate Dynamite GoodBye Eddie
Obviously I went to a tougher school than you Old Lincolnian because 'Every Good Boy Deserves FLOGGING' ! Edited by member, 18th Mar 2018 5:38 pm
Non-Coventry - Mnemonics
Beesman
Cornwall
All posts by this member
15 of 29  Sun 18th Mar 2018 5:18pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2012  Total posts:370

Answer to my earlier puzzle: Superior Michigan Huron Erie (Falls) Ontario. Smile
Non-Coventry - Mnemonics

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 29 posts

Page 1 of 2

1 2
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Cattle plague
|

Next (newer) topic

Sorry state (non-Cov)