No actionNo action
62 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
61 of 62  Mon 17th Dec 2018 9:32am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2729

Hilaire Belloc was a Member of Parliament around 1900. He wrote a book in 1911, 'The Four Men', a 140 kilometre journey on foot across Sussex from Robertsbridge in the east to Harting in the west. A guy called Bob Potter read it in the thirties, decided to follow his footsteps - the war intervened, he did it in the fifties, but now some of the countryside was roads. He kept to the book as much as possible. He then wrote his book 'Across Sussex with Belloc' - beautiful country villages, scenery, etc. I decided I had to do this walk in stages. I was 71 years of age, 26 Nov 1998. I caught the train to Robertsbridge - this was one of the most beautiful walks one could imagine.
Non-Coventry - Favourite Books
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
62 of 62  Thu 7th Feb 2019 10:43pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:572

I have just finished a book I received for Christmas. It was a cracker. It was about a Royal Navy ship called "Erebus" and it was written by Michael Palin. Erebus was a small sturdy Bomb Vessel 342 tons, but strong as she was built she was further strengthened for exploration work in Antarctica where she was used to construct observatories to make calculations in connection with the True Magnetic Pole. She operated in tandem with a similar vessel named "Terror" and eventually they both sailed under the overall command of John Franklin to discover The North West Passage. This was ill fated and both vessels and their crew disappeared. Many expeditions were sent to discover their fate, with very little result although some stories told by the native Inuits did begin to throw some light on some of the crew`s endings. The vessels on the other hand remained lost since 1845/6 until comparatively recently when the Erebus was located. The book is not all gloom and doom. There are accounts of good times in Tasmania when they refitted and there is also a time on the Falkland Islands. But the strength of the book is in the telling. Michael Palin must have done endless research and tells a good "yarn" almost recreating the excitement for me anyway of "being there". I thoroughly recommend this book.
Non-Coventry - Favourite Books

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 61 to 62 of 62 posts

Page 5 of 5

1 2 3 4 5
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Have a laugh!
|

Next (newer) topic

Crusaders, Knights Templar