No actionNo action
8 posts:
Order:    

Mr Blue Sky
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
All posts by this member
1 of 8  Wed 9th Jan 2019 2:59pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2012  Total posts:30

I have met several famous people over the years and the first one was Eric Sykes. He must have been at the Hippodrome around 1960 and he came in one of Coventry's popular cafes at the time. I happened to be in the gents and he came in and said "Is this where the big uns hang out?" I happen to have met him again 30 odd years later on a motorway service area with his wife or friend. I said "Hello Eric, I first met you 30 odd years ago in Coventry". His reply was "You couldn't have done, I wasn't born then". A typical answer from Eric.
Non-Coventry - Famous people who we meet
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
2 of 8  Wed 9th Jan 2019 4:46pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2641

Mr Blue Sky, I met Bruno (boxer) in the showers at Wembley.
Osmiroid
UK
All posts by this member
3 of 8  Wed 9th Jan 2019 5:33pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2013  Total posts:385

I saw R#lf Harr#s in Virgin Records, unfortunately.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
4 of 8  Wed 9th Jan 2019 6:06pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5202

We were in Cattolica in the summer of 1963 - on returning to the hotel one lunchtime, we saw a famous face signing in at reception. My dear old mum, bless her!, exclaimed (rather too loudly) "Look, it's Brian London!" Well, it wasn't him, but Henry Cooper, a few weeks after his famous fight with Cassius Clay. With him was his petite wife, Albina, their young son, Henry Marco, and Henry's twin brother Jim. They were next to us on the hotel beach for the next week or so, and what a lovely family they were. To see the two heavyweight boxers playing in the sea and on the beach with little Henry Marco was wonderful. I really must see if I have any old transparencies from that holiday! PS. I also met Kaga a couple of years ago at the Belgrade Cheers
zigzag
cornwall
All posts by this member
5 of 8  Thu 10th Jan 2019 11:19am  
Member: Joined Dec 2013  Total posts:105

Many years ago I was in The Mercia with a couple of mates, Tommy Cooper who had his arm in a sling was in there having a drink. One of our group, so he could hear, said " Like this not like that" and Tommy told us to p--- off. Edited by member, 10th Jan 2019 6:54 pm
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
6 of 8  Thu 10th Jan 2019 12:43pm  

MR. Yes, along with our Philip, really good to meet you both, I think that rates famous. Met Frankie Howerd in Piccadilly. I was with Joe Robinson at the time, remember he was the guy that fought James Bond in the lift in (Diamonds are Forever). Met Connery long before he was a film star. Met Dora Bryan in Woolies. Oh gosh, scores of top boxers, sports people. Yeh, met Clarrie Bourton with Alf Wood (goalkeeper). Drinks with Bill Owen (Compo), Beryl Bryden (jazz singer), Billy Hill (top gangster) and Sir Nigel Bagnall KCB, GCB, CVO, MC and bar.
zigzag
cornwall
All posts by this member
7 of 8  Fri 11th Jan 2019 9:14am  
Member: Joined Dec 2013  Total posts:105

Another not famous but well known person I met was Moshe Dayan, the ex Israeli Defence Minister, I met him when living and working abroad.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
8 of 8  Fri 11th Jan 2019 6:02pm  

Zig-zag, I never really knew him saw him a few times from a few yards away, he was mixed up in the Exodus ship affair, and I was in Haifa, but the less said the better, long time ago.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Things you see (non-Cov)
|

Next (newer) topic

Have a laugh!
You are viewing topics in the Non-Coventry category