No actionNo action
32 posts:
Order:    

Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
31 of 32  Sun 5th Sep 2021 12:08pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2742

An update, rather than a conclusion - I've been trying to determine who owned the Brewery plot and the whole thing is complicated because several plots have been merged and at times split up again. Mr Phillips' house was originally bordered to the north by Broad Yard with the Coach and Horses Inn (previously the Black Bear) and to the south by Bell Court and the Green Dragon. All were connected to the Brewery in some way over the years. By 1850 the inn had moved to near the Whitefriars gatehouse but the yard still had a malt house, a smithy, stabling etc. Different people owned or rented or leased parts of the 3 courts. From what I can gather the house was by then a silk warehouse and factory but with the front still being used as a house/office. Outbuildings also seem to have tenants or businesses within. I think I've worked out that the house was number 126, not 124/125. It makes more sense if you count down rather than up. Note to self – always check the 1950s map for numbering. Further complicating things is the loan systems back then, because rather than a bank lending the money, individuals did and things get complicated when the borrower dies or defaults on the loan/s. The lender owns a share and may relinquish it for money or may pay other debts on the property and then own it. The properties and land in Broad Yard seem to have been sold by at least 1906 and become the Standard Motor Works then Charlesworth Works, then part of Lea Francis. The transition was probably after the brewery completed the big new malt house in the garden behind 126. One possible route for the house to come into the brewery possession is thus:- John Whittingham nursery man of Coventry (Dec 1746 - Jan 1781??? May not be the same man) Elizabeth Whittingham spinster of Foleshill Charles Whittingham of Goswell St, London 1813 Charles Adams - silkman Prior to 1836 Cleophas Ratliff - silkman Reverend George Heaviside (rent?) Francis Phillips (rent?) There’s a record where James Marriott lets to Francis Phillips and Walter Henry Marriott 126 & 127 (127 was built over a front garden and a street facing outbuilding), Much Park Street (having a frontage of 104 feet 6 inches, which matches the full width of Mr Wright's property quite well). So maybe James Marriot buys it and then initially lets part of it to the brewery and part to Francis to live in? There is an alternate timeline. Thomas Brown sells Jonathan Bray – silkman James Bray occupies Charles Bray inherits and sells James Marriott However this timeline may refer to a property on the north side of Broad Yard. I keep going round in circles with the same names popping up but not getting much further back than the early 1800s. I seriously can’t understand why house numbering didn’t come in sooner. It makes for interesting reading about who were the neighbours north, south and west but when you also don’t know where those neighbours were exactly, it makes pinpointing difficult.
Finding Mr Wright
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
32 of 32  Sun 5th Sep 2021 12:55pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2742

A picture of the rear of 126 and 127 Link to image
Finding Mr Wright

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 31 to 32 of 32 posts

Page 3 of 3