Next pageLast page
101 posts:
Order:    

Wighter
Isle of Wight
All posts by this member
1 of 101  Thu 31st Mar 2011 7:04pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2011  Total posts:34

I made the front page of the Telegraph in the 1970's. I have tried to obtain a copy on-line via the Telegraph website and simply trawling t'internet but just can't get hold of a copy or even just a view of the front page itself. Does anyone know how I can get a copy? (Just "popping in" to the offices isn't an option for me - I live on the Isle of Wight now!) Thanks in anticipation.
Coventry Telegraph
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 101  Thu 31st Mar 2011 7:53pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1043

I believe the local archives hold microfilm copies of virtually all old local newspapers, it might be worth giving them a go.... History Centre Edited by Midland Red, 3rd Sep 2015 6:27 pm (Link updated 3 Sep 2015)
Coventry Telegraph
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 101  Thu 7th Apr 2011 3:39pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1552

Can we ask what you did to make the front page!!
Coventry Telegraph
Wighter
Isle of Wight
All posts by this member
4 of 101  Fri 8th Apr 2011 7:54pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2011  Total posts:34

Hmmm. Very long story as to how it happened. I'll try to condense... I worked at Morris Engines and was a shop steward. British Leyland cars had said they would pay us in line with Cowley (in Oxford) as we were now the same company. All they said in the letter to employees was that to have this parity payment, we had to "increase production", which we did. However when the time came to receive our rise, they said we hadn't achieved what they wanted and quoted a figure of an output of 6.1 cars per man per week. This figure wasn't ever mentioned in the letter so we said we would strike. When the Telegraph heard of our intentions, they called us "typical car workers - striking for no reason etc." (or words to that effect). I was bloody furious and wrote a personal letter to the editor who, unknown to me, decided to print my letter on the front page under the headline "We call it fraud!" and of course, I was hauled into a managers meeting to explain my actions. All worked out well though. I got a letter of apology from the company and the Telegraph also wrote to apologise because I had stated on my letter "Not for publication" as it was just a personal letter from me to the editor.
Coventry Telegraph
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
5 of 101  Thu 19th Jul 2012 3:20pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3838

Hi all, Wave It is quite a while since the Coventry Evening Telegraph changed its brand name to Coventry Telegraph, but you would not think so if you were waiting for a bus, outside of the Belgrade. Hey! Smile
Coventry Telegraph
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
6 of 101  Thu 19th Jul 2012 3:44pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3033

Well spotted Philip! Thumbs up I lived in nearby Bond Street when the offices first opened and have a vague recollection of there being a newsagents outlet built into that part of the facade? We used to buy war comics from there.
Coventry Telegraph
Beesman
Cornwall
All posts by this member
7 of 101  Thu 19th Jul 2012 4:01pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2012  Total posts:367

I remember that too dutchman. Did it sell confectionery as well as papers or am I thinking of a different selling point?
Coventry Telegraph
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
8 of 101  Thu 19th Jul 2012 4:54pm  

I think so Beesman as we tended to buy sweets at the same time as we bought comics. It was always a Sunday when the only kind of shop open back then was a newsagents.
Coventry Telegraph
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
9 of 101  Thu 19th Jul 2012 7:19pm  

Hi, Dutchman & thank you. Wave Corporate identity is such a hot issue with business companies. Look at the fuss with signage just now at the Ricoh! I knew a huge multi-national company that when it changed its brand name, destroyed everything where there was the slightest link with the past, including every cup & plate in the dining rooms, & every other item that had a previous logo on them. The Telegraph building does not seem to add up some how. Oh my
Coventry Telegraph
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
10 of 101  Fri 20th Jul 2012 8:10am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1540

While we are on the subject, does everyone know what the Coventry Telegraph building is to become? No, it's not a competition. Even MORE student accommodation! It seems outline planning was applied for last February - and an interesting document can be found HERE which shows a map of the planned size of the development and photos of the area. And apparently the owners of the ABC Motel next door are also purchasing the Amalgamated Union of Engineering Workers building and converting BOTH of these to student flats.
Coventry Telegraph
DBC
Nottinghamshire
All posts by this member
11 of 101  Fri 20th Jul 2012 10:29am  
Member: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:170

Quite a large chunk of proposed building work:- "An up to 14 storey student residential block, with its main elevation facing Corporation Street and flank elevation on Upper Well Street; An up to 6 storey hotel block facing Upper Well Street; An up to 8 storey hotel block facing Upper Well Street; An up to 6 storey hotel block, replacing the existing block facing the Old City Wall; An up to 7 storey residential building at the north-west corner of the site, in part on Lamb Street."
Coventry Telegraph
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
12 of 101  Fri 20th Jul 2012 11:09am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1540

Do you think they'll get it done in time for the Olympics? Smile
Coventry Telegraph
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
13 of 101  Sat 4th Aug 2012 6:16pm  

On 19th Jul 2012 3:20pm, PhilipInCoventry said: Hi all, Wave It is quite a while since the Coventry Evening Telegraph changed it's brand name to Coventry Telegraph, but you would not think so if you were waiting for a bus, outside of the Belgrade. Hey! Smile
I only just noticed the street sign on the building says "Upper Well Street". It's actually "Fretton Street"! Oh my "Upper Well Street" doesn't begin until the other side of Bond Street. The building that once stood on this side of the T-junction was originally "Fretton House" although it became "Loveitt House" after the war.
Coventry Telegraph
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
14 of 101  Sat 6th Jun 2015 1:19pm  

Hi all. Wave Newspaper jobs to go.
Coventry Telegraph
Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
15 of 101  Sat 6th Jun 2015 2:32pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:454

Do you still buy newspapers every day, Philip? These days, you can get news as it happens, not wait to read yesterday's happenings. Smile
Coventry Telegraph

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 101 posts

Page 1 of 7

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Coventry Hippodrome / Theatre
|

Next (newer) topic

Dirty Stop Outs from the 1970s!
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 61ms)