No actionNo action
36 posts:
Order:    

Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
31 of 36  Fri 4th Jun 2021 4:18pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1746

My nan in the picture liked to dress up. When we were little she had a full length brown fur coat. Not sure what sort of fur it was. I have a few pictures of her wearing it. As has been said no one in those days bothered. Later on she swapped that coat and bought a lighter coloured three-quarter coat. As she got older she promised this coat to most of the female members of the family when she died. It was a good job that after she died, none of us would have wanted it or we might have had a battle on our hands. Mum had it and never wore it. When mum later moved in to a sheltered flat her poor unfortunate neighbour finished up with it. I contacted this neighbour when mum passed away in 2013 and the first thing she said to me was the fur coat was still in her wardrobe and did I want it. Of course I said no. It may still be there but I hope she managed to dispose of it! 😠😠. Nan was a bit of a snob. They moved down south in the 1960’s and I often used to go down and stay with her and my step grandad. If we went into a shop she would try and put on a posh accent but then she would forget and drop a few h’s and out would come the Coventry accent, bless her.
Friendly Chat
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
32 of 36  Fri 4th Jun 2021 5:07pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2527

Kaga, you sounded quite grumpy in your comment that was aimed at Rob. You might not have meant it, but you were accusing him of being unrealistic and wanting to cling to the past. We explained to you that it was about our fears that a pleasant bit of modern art was about to be moved for commercial reasons, with a prediction that it would vanish, never to reappear. Since they took it apart with a jack hammer, Rob/we were right. You can express your opinions but not accuse people of something they haven't done, unless you want to be challenged.
Friendly Chat
argon
New Milton
All posts by this member
33 of 36  Fri 4th Jun 2021 6:05pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:329

I suspect that we are misunderstanding the whole concept. Looking at the area in daylight I see that the balls are placed in front of the greenery at the cathedral frontage. It suggests to me that it is a modernistic depiction of a snooker table perhaps with the religious implication that we are all at the whim of a greater power when moved. Of course this supposes that the project is not yet finished and the balls have to be painted in the correct colours.
Friendly Chat
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
34 of 36  Fri 4th Jun 2021 7:01pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2527

Or they're supposed to represent the sun and the planets revolving round the church in an ironic take on the Church's rejection of the solar centric reality of the planets? Wink
Friendly Chat
Suitably Chastised
The beautiful Staffordshire Moorlands
All posts by this member
35 of 36  Fri 4th Jun 2021 7:57pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:208

Yeah, whatever! Heliocentric solar system, The Church's rejection of Galileos theory, not to mention Copernicus (although he had a better relationship with Rome) was all a very long time ago. Heavy stuff HelenF and not really sure this is pertinent to this Forum. Besides I can't quite see the numptys that 'govern' Coventry having a clue about all this stuff and commission such a piece of work.
Friendly Chat
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
36 of 36  Mon 7th Jun 2021 3:12pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2350

At the end of the day they are just as they look, giant concrete balls to stop unauthorised parking, probably doing the job they are meant to do. Smile
Friendly Chat

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 31 to 36 of 36 posts

Page 3 of 3

1 2 3
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Windmill Road School
|

Next (newer) topic

St John's Church, Fleet Street