No actionNo action
37 posts:
Order:    

NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
31 of 37  Wed 20th Nov 2019 10:43am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2836

Helen is still one of favourite Old-Cov people thanks to the Vicar Lane discoveries at the start of this thread. However there has been some recent talk on one of the Coventry FB pages due to the posting of an advert for the opening of the original M&S store in Coventry on Smithford Street in 1929. I knew Peter Knight (Coventry Rebuilt) had referenced this (indeed it appears the ad came from his website), however I had not realised that this original store was built on what was 12, 13 & 13a Smithford Street - nor indeed where this actually was. I looked on Rob’s ace Library Pictures section and lo and behold, there is an image of this store - probably the one Peter used for his 'adaptation’. However after also referencing maps I now realise this was right next door to the side of Vicar Lane looking south and indeed Rob’s photo shows this! Helen, you can see the bridge over the lane to the left - it was there all along! Rob, hope you don't mind but have added an enlarged version to the server for all its extra-sized superb-ness! Edited by member, 20th Nov 2019 10:45 am
Vicar Lane
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
32 of 37  Wed 7th Jul 2021 3:26pm  

The Herbert (so (c) to them) just added this one to their Facebook page. Interesting to see so I have zoomed in a bit as you do not often get that section on the southeast side in as good a view. Helen, I was hoping to spot the entrance to Vicar Lane but it must have only been a small passageway.
Vicar Lane
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
33 of 37  Wed 7th Jul 2021 3:54pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2634

Nice zoom Neil. Thumbs up See the tall chimney and if you look down from there there is a 2 storey building with 4 windows and a sign above the two left ones? That is the left side of Vicar Lane as you look at it. That was a big timber jettied building that is on the same corner as Troughton's sketch of Vicar Lane. Only by the time the photo was taken it has been modernised with brick cladding and a display front.
Vicar Lane
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
34 of 37  Thu 8th Jul 2021 9:24am  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1496

I've always found Smithford Street endlessly interesting, with ever something new to spot in any old photo. Like you, Neil, I also wondered where the entrance to Vicar Lane might be in a photo, and so I've zoomed into my own CDV version of that one above.... and I'm still not certain! But, could it possibly be just this side of the white sided building in the centre, below?
Vicar Lane
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
35 of 37  Thu 8th Jul 2021 9:45am  

Rob, your one of the 'new' M&S store (which I think was only there for about 11 or so years - and would have replaced that white sided building) is a terrific capture as it’s taken from standing on Smithford Street - Vicar Lane on the very left hand edge.
Vicar Lane
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
36 of 37  Thu 8th Jul 2021 11:45am  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2634

On 8th Jul 2021 9:24am, Rob Orland said: But, could it possibly be just this side of the white sided building in the centre, below?
Hi guys. Wave The white jettied building was next door but one to Vicar Lane on the right hand side as you looked at it. On the corner was a brick fronted (probably timber underneath) 3 storey building. That and the jettied building (at least) must have been demolished to build the M&S. Which makes this picture Neil posted the side of the M&S on the left.
On 2nd Jul 2019 1:51pm, NeilsYard said:
Vicar Lane
PhiliPamInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
37 of 37  Thu 8th Jul 2021 12:29pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3610

These posts are brill!
Vicar Lane

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 31 to 37 of 37 posts