No actionNo action
7 posts:
Order:    

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
1 of 7  Tue 23rd Jul 2019 3:47pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4168

Good afternoon, Cheers We may delete or merge this topic if needed. Most of us don't live in air-con homes, those that use a portable device will know that the running costs are quite high, as much energy is needed. So on days like today, my suggestion is your coolest room, that may change during the sun’s passage during the day. Where the outside air temperature is high, try to avoid through the house airflow, but still have ample ventilation. A simple fan, in a shaded room, will lower the temp by around 4deg. Moisture in the air consumes heat, by its evaporation, which is what the fan does as it circulates the air. Are there anymore suggestions for keeping cool? We may have had this topic before.
News, Media and Current Affairs - Keeping Cool
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
2 of 7  Tue 23rd Jul 2019 4:54pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3317

Don't forget your pets too, keep plenty of ice cubes handy in the freezer and pop a few in their drinking bowls.
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
3 of 7  Tue 23rd Jul 2019 10:34pm  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:203

Keep the curtains drawn when the sun is directly on a room. Put damp towels on the radiators. They will cool the air as the water evaporates (heating off, of course Wink) Peter.
Garlands Joke Shop
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 7  Wed 24th Jul 2019 4:53pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:222

We sometimes put our pillowcases and sheets in a freezer bag and put them in the freezer during the day - then they're nice and cool for bed (although the coolness doesn't last long, but might help a little bit to initially get to sleep). Thumbs up
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
5 of 7  Thu 25th Jul 2019 4:23am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3317

A freezing hot water bottle might help too. Ladies, you can tell your hubbies to stay their side of the bed instead of hogging all the bed on hot nights!!
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
6 of 7  Thu 25th Jul 2019 1:29pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3006

I had always loved the sunrise, right from the beginning I stood at our back window as a child and watched it. This morning, the glittering ball rose over the downs and bathed the whole range of the hills, it hurt one's eyes. It changed from orange to gold, the whole sky a breathtaking symphony of sizzling colour, then it was over the sea, a shimmering pathway across the ruffled surface of the water. And it seemed to me that dawn-worship was the most logical of primitive beliefs. Slight wind and small waves below me and you could hear a haunting orchestra in your mind, that spoke of a timeless era. It seems impossible but today is more beautiful than yesterday, the sky is depthless. Every leaf edged with gold, people walking about in the summer heat as if drugged - only the morning remained cool.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
7 of 7  Sat 27th Jul 2019 9:40am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3006

The little tree was stretching, mute fingers to the sky pleadingly, imploringly, for the little tree was dry It stood alone on tip toe, on faded yellow grass The people grumbled sorely, when streets were soaking wet they preyed for this, hot sunshine, but people soon forget not so the little tree, in sparkling glory there Its thanks were rosy blossom Each raindrop answered prayer

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Mental Health
|

Next (newer) topic

Today! (Current Coventry Issues)
You are viewing topics in the News, Media and Current Affairs category