Next pageNo action
96 posts:
Order:    

Not Local
Bedworth
All posts by this member
76 of 96  Wed 24th Oct 2018 6:25pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:243

Kaga - Your description of Jordan and his cronies is spot on. They were just small fry who tried to stir up trouble around the area. Generally people recognised them for what they were, and just ignored them. Occasionally they did go a bit too far, or they picked on the wrong people. In the early 60's they painted racist slogans on walls and bridges in Leamington Spa - the locals were not amused. In the late 70's they upset the big Scotsmen in Corby just at the time they been told that they were losing their jobs in the steel industry. These same men had moved to the new town of Corby only a few years before to escape unemployment in Scotland. The Corby people were adamant they would fight their own fight with the government of the day and they gave that message very robustly to Mr Jordan's lot, to those who had come only to oppose the right wing, and in fact to everybody who was not from Corby.
Memories and Nostalgia - IRA Broadgate Bomb 1939
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
77 of 96  Thu 25th Oct 2018 11:01am  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:406

On 24th Oct 2018 2:51pm, Slim said:
On 24th Oct 2018 11:10am, Wearethemods said: ... and the guy playing the pipes on the Ambulance Station roof was identified as a worker from the Cov. Gauge & Tool, who could not go back to work and eventually was paid off.
A man piping a lament for James McDade was on the evening televison news, and co-workers at one of the Lucas plants recognised him. They arrived at work early and strung up a noose from one of the roof trusses, lying in wait for the piper to turn up for work. Security and police had to intervene to thwart the planned revenge. I have no idea what the eventual outcome was.
As I understand, but didn't mention it in my previous post, the same happened at the Cov. G&T with the noose and everyone threatened to clasp their hand around the rope so the authorities couldn't charge hundreds with murder!
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
78 of 96  Thu 25th Oct 2018 5:29pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3474

Wearethemods, Are you sure he was in the Royal Warwicks? I knew him as in the Medical Corps, an escape route for some people who had sympathy with the other side, so they did not have to fight against them - half-way house to being a true believer of Conscientious Objector as was Oswald Mosley.
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
79 of 96  Thu 25th Oct 2018 6:26pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1496

As has been suggested, the last few posts have been moved to this more closely related topic from their original location in the Anti Racism / National Front in Coventry, c.1960-80 topic.
Not Local
Bedworth
All posts by this member
80 of 96  Thu 25th Oct 2018 8:39pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:243

Kaga - It was Enoch Powell who was a Brigadier in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment during World War Two.
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
81 of 96  Thu 25th Oct 2018 9:33pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2833

On 23rd Oct 2018 12:02pm, NeilsYard said: As a slight aside as we've mentioned the IRA - I happened to be baptised by one Father Fell at All Souls in Earlsdon. A few years later he was arrested for being a leader of an IRA cell around Coventry.
Never met him, but can still picture him from the papers - thin, slightly-built, short black hair, glasses - quite a harmless looking chap.
Yep that was him Slim - Historic Images Edited by member, 26th Oct 2018 7:09 am
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
82 of 96  Fri 26th Oct 2018 9:40am  

Non-Local. Yes I was aware of that, but thanks anyway. My cousin was a Lt in the Warwicks, they were a very hardened Infantry Reg't - had I failed the Paras I would have been sent there too, it was my parent Reg't.
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
83 of 96  Tue 23rd Apr 2019 11:11pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:1575

After the IRA bomb exploded.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
84 of 96  Sun 25th Aug 2019 1:29pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4865

80 years ago today
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
85 of 96  Wed 11th Nov 2020 12:17pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1496

On behalf of member Inyoni I'm posting his memories of that dreadful day: "In the afternoon of Friday August 25 1939, I and two or three young friends were playing in between the then undeveloped area of Sadler and Burnaby Roads and today's Beake Avenue, which then terminated at Links and Wallace Roads. We were approximately central to the city side of Berwin Avenue, the Whitmore Park School area was then an Oat field awaiting harvesting. The Scotchill depression from us towards the city was vacant of buildings, the skyline being Links/Wallace Road's houses with the Cathedral and Trinity Spires predominant above all. Suddenly there was a loud explosion, and looking towards the sound we saw a column of varicoloured debris erupting skyward immediately to the right of the Trinity tower and above the parapet height. It was only when my father came home from work that evening I was told of the bicycle bomb detonated under the Broadgate Clock adjacent to our Keresley bus stop!"
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
86 of 96  Wed 11th Nov 2020 12:44pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2833

Great insight Rob/Inyoni - these are the things that would never be known about if it was not for the forum. Must have had some force to have been noticeable from Radford/Keresley Sad
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
87 of 96  Tue 17th Nov 2020 11:58am  

Rob Now here is something else brought to light. The bomb was in central Broadgate, now you say Keresley bus stop was in Broadgate in 1939. If that guy is correct, had the stop been moved in between 39 and 40?
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
88 of 96  Tue 17th Nov 2020 12:28pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2633

The pick up and set down points for a bus route aren't always the same Kaga eg I used to catch my bus in the Burges but got off outside Sainsbury's in Trinity Street. Some buses go to the same place but have different routes so might have different bus stops at their start to avoid confusion. The clock and the damaged bus weren't very far from each other and 'adjacent' might be a matter of perception.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
89 of 96  Tue 17th Nov 2020 1:34pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2633

I forgot to say thanks to Inyoni for sharing that memory Thumbs up
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
90 of 96  Tue 17th Nov 2020 3:59pm  

Helen, My description and photo are better and 1950 nearer and Coventry had a better bus service in those days. Had the bus stop been where it was in the blitz, it would have been a different result with different people. At the back of my mind over the last few weeks I have been struggling to find why I was sure about it, now triggered it’s come back - I used to catch the Keresley bus from Broadgate to visit my cousin's, throughout the thirties. No, that bus stop was moved, from outside Samuel's to further down outside Duvals. In the fifties I was damned good trained at terrorists and explosives, and so my interest. Story.... In 1946 I stood outside the bombed King David Hotel in Jerusalem discussing the bombing with a 19 year old officer. In 1984 I stood outside the Grand Hotel in Brighton, this time I was not allowed near but there was my old friend standing and talking to Margaret Thatcher. I walked round the corner and chatted to his driver, until he appeared. We spoke a few words then he was surrounded by ministers and taken on one side again and vanished. His name now - Sir Nigel Bagnall (ginger)

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 76 to 90 of 96 posts

Page 6 of 7

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Old Coventry adverts
|

Next (newer) topic

E Sykes, bookseller
You are viewing topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5

This is your first visit to my website today, thank you!

Website & counter by Rob Orland © 2021

Load time: 106ms