Slim
301 of 365  Sat 11th Jul 2020 6:11pm  
Off-topic / chat  

PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
302 of 365  Sat 11th Jul 2020 10:00pm  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:303

They heard you. Police clamping down on passengers who refuse to wear facemasks (Coventry Observer).
News, Media and Current Affairs - Coronavirus - COVID-19
3Spires
Leicestershire
All posts by this member
303 of 365  Sun 12th Jul 2020 12:26am  
Member: Joined Apr 2018  Total posts:110

Thanks for posting that, PeterB Thumbs up No doubt we'll have someone along saying "If that's the case, then why weren't the police on my bus/train?" Oh my The police can't be everywhere and that's why we are all expected, irrespective of people's hang-ups, to behave for the greater good Cheers Perhaps the 'offenders' need to be named and shamed? Sad
Disorganised1
Coventry
All posts by this member
304 of 365  Sun 12th Jul 2020 10:21am  
Member: Joined Nov 2012  Total posts:255

There apparently are now just 2 patients still hospitalised for Covid-19 in UHCW.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
305 of 365  Sun 12th Jul 2020 5:18pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4362

Is this worrying? I've no idea regards its authenticity as a report. At the back of my mind is a lecture that I attended in 1994, on the issue of good chromosome combinations maybe getting thin throughout humanity. I'm totally out of my depth in this. The stats do not appear very rosy. Until verification is clear, a pinch of salt maybe needed for such sweeping thoughts regards humanity & its development or retrogression, whatever. A bit more light reading This subject insertion may need moving or deleting, at some point, but it probably adds a bit of detail to the nature of pandemics & how we cope with them. I do have my own personal calculated beliefs on this, but I have been very careful not to add anything of that nature, either in my comments or the links.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
306 of 365  Sun 12th Jul 2020 8:57pm  

To put that lot into prospective, the crucial bit of info is what is the mechanism by which the virus/infection is spread. Some viruses spread by the nature of the environment that they are in, so unless it's an airborne lung bolt on infection, it may be a touch infection. I do hope so. We will see.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
307 of 365  Sun 12th Jul 2020 9:57pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2229

Is this worrying - not especially. China is desperate to draw attention from its serious mistakes. There are regular outbreaks of new diseases, most do not become sustainable epidemics. The cases in pneumonia are most likely to be unreported covid or even flu cases. There are a lot more cases than any country is reporting. People can still be ill even after they test negative. Only antibody tests can determine if the people have had the disease and that takes weeks for enough to develop to be tested. The stats I agree this is mostly conjecture. Children are more abused - almost certainly not true. we are just more aware and more likely to report. Teenagers are more suicidal - suicide rates fluctuate - during the World Wars, contrary to what you'd expect, it fell. Suicide for girls/women has generally improved but boys/men was better in the 60s. I suspect that it's a matter of fear over reality. It doesn't help to have catastrophe trumpeted all the time. Social media is definitely a problem. People are more miserable - to a certain extent this is true but mostly down to cerebral issues rather than real ones. People are scared. They consider what they haven't got, rather than what they have. Men + women are less fertile - Again, partly true but the main cause of population fall is due to raising families later in life and choosing to have fewer or no kids. Obesity also plays a part. People are more addicted to drugs - partly true but only because they're more available, more varied and the hardships of not working are less than they used to be. No benefits in the past. Alcoholism was rife. Opium was legal and popular. In many countries cigarette use is much reduced. Domestic partners are more violent - absolutely not true. It just wasn't illegal in the past. A lot of women 'fell down the stairs'. Rape in marriage wasn't just legal, it wasn't even frowned upon. People experience lower life expectancy - this pandemic might knock things a bit but if there's any pause in life expectancy it's only recent and self inflicted People are fatter + dumber + shorter; - fatter yes due to over abundance of goodies. Dumber? Less rigorously educated in key subjects maybe but more educated in a wider number of subjects. Shorter? I was average height for a woman but I'm now at least an inch shorter. I have not shrunk. Businesses are less innovative, particularly in the US - really? I'm building 1650 Coventry in semi realism using high definition photos taken on my digital camera using free software on my computer that has more computing power than it was believed possible when I started my career, never mind when I was born. 'nuff said. Declines in human potential will accelerate because our kids are being continually exposed to two dysfunctional ecofactors: toxic ‘junk products’ created by corporations (e.g., fast food, nutrient-poor school meals, cheap drugs, screen media) - It's the price we pay for a free society. There will be as many exceptions as there ever were. On the flip side we are much less poisoned by smoke and other toxic substances (eg lead was used in lots of things from makeup to bread). Lung diseases from dung fires are still one of the leading causes of early death in the developing world. We are less weakened by diseases. toxic nurturing from inept parents (e.g., people that give birth to kids who are mentally and financially unstable) - there is a bit of that but it's not universal. Progress was always two steps forward, one step back. Human DNA Like any animal humans need to mix it up a bit. Apparently South Americans have very healthy DNA. With very mixed parentage they're like canine mongrels, good genetically and physically. We could lose 3/4 of the global population and there would still be more people than when we had after the 1918 pandemic that killed 5% of those it infected. At 5000 BC there were fewer people in the World than there are in London today. Multi racial UK is doing the right thing genetically. If we could just keep the best bits of each culture instead of the worst bits, we'd be unbeatable.
JohnnieWalker
Bonny Hills, Australia
All posts by this member
308 of 365  Sun 12th Jul 2020 11:26pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:330

Well said, Helen - 100% agree! I never even agreed with the sports results in the tabloids, where this seems to have started.
True Blue Coventry Kid

Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
309 of 365  Sun 12th Jul 2020 11:59pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2229

Individually covid-19 is a risk. To humanity it's currently just a bad cold. Most of us will have lived through worse epidemics. We've just become used to vaccines. On the plus side, plasma treatment is showing good results and theoretically not only have we got donors, they are talking about artificially growing it. Hang in there. We have NEVER been better placed to get through this.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
310 of 365  Mon 13th Jul 2020 7:53am  

Thank you so much for the responses to that. I'm so comforted by the understanding. In so many ways, society is often limited to a tick-box mentality, but you’re certainly not in that area, Helen. Thank you.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
311 of 365  Mon 13th Jul 2020 1:25pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3549

All the common sense shown on this thread puts all the tabloids to shame (in my humble opinion).
Disorganised1
Coventry
All posts by this member
312 of 365  Mon 13th Jul 2020 11:31pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2012  Total posts:255

Face nappies compulsory in shops from Jul 24th. I won't be going shopping any more. Just what we all need, a new bio-hazard being left blowing around the streets of the country.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
313 of 365  Tue 14th Jul 2020 7:21pm  

Hi all, Right back at the start of the UK pandemic, I mentioned that one of the criteria in my mind that would confirm a state of recovery was the stock market barometer. That at present shows little sign of full recovery, it's recovered about half of the initial losses back in March. I still believe that it is the most reliable single earthly indicator of what's what & what's going where. It's only a number, a bit like my age. The number is only significant if there's an issue. So many of us on our forum are getting on, but we have our younger families to think of. Aside from international politics, there will be changes in consequence I'm sure, but what do our members think about the future for them, our grandchildren, nieces & nephews?

Question

Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
314 of 365  Tue 14th Jul 2020 7:58pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:731

But the horse has already bolted, Bigwigs You couldn’t make it up. After all this time, with some “experts” initially questioning / casting doubt on the usefulness of face masks, they’re going to be compulsory in shops at the end of next week, under the threat of a £100 fine; to be enforced by our police of course. Well if masks in public are so good, why weren’t they compulsory ab initio at the beginning of the 17 weeks of lockdown we are still enduring? How many lives could have been saved? I’ve already pointed out that train passengers are getting away with not wearing masks, albeit they are committing a criminal offence. There are relatively few public transport passengers (13% of normal rail passengers), but everyone has to eat, so there must be many times more shoppers. I have great respect for the police – their already difficult job made harder having suffered depletion in numbers over the years. The police can’t be everywhere. (Although they were immediately everywhere when lockdown first kicked in, as if they had come out of the woodwork after many years; but I suspect this was a publicity stunt ordered by the bigwigs, accomplished by cancelling all leave, forcing them to work overtime and triple shifts, deploying specials… this level of police presence was not sustainable and gradually fizzled out after several weeks.) When I first hear about compulsory face masks on the news, my immediate thought was “how on earth could they enforce that, when they can’t enforce it on the trains?” Now police spokespeople are saying exactly the same thing. The police are being put in a very difficult position, as they have plenty of other things to do. Unless of course, the public wakes up and burglars stop burgling, muggers stop mugging, drunks stop acting in contravention of section 5 [of the public order act], road users stop having accidents, and people stop dying without warning so that there are no more sudden deaths… I heard on my car’s wireless today that the scientists are now scaremongering us with predictions that the virus could re-erupt this winter, much worse than what we’ve already had, and a lot more people might die. Well it sells newspapers.
3Spires
Leicestershire
All posts by this member
315 of 365  Tue 14th Jul 2020 8:04pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2018  Total posts:110

Hi Philip, I understand where you are coming from but I can't help feel that any 'concern' for the younger generations was shown all too clearly with recent electoral decisions. We have already refused to sign up to a European wide initiative on vaccine procurement. So, the UK is going to find itself potentially having to compete against the rest of the world and lacking the buying power of a 'bloc'. I would have thought that covering all our options was a better way to protect all our citizens - whatever their age. And whilst on the subject of protecting our citizens can we please remember that the staff in shops are subject to all of the footfall that we need as part of restarting the economy. The price for economic improvement should not be someone else's illness or death. Human wellbeing rarely figures on any stock market projection.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 301 to 315 of 365 posts

Page 21 of 25

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 21 22 23 24 25
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Astronomy & Outer Space
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Weather & Blether