Next pageLast page
393 posts:
Order:    

Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
361 of 393  Tue 4th Aug 2020 8:24pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:752

On 2nd Aug 2020 1:51pm, Midland Red said: Why do you use the word “scaremongering”?
Errrrrrrrrr… it was in a newspaper. The Times; to be precise, the Sunday Times. Not one of yer redtops like the Sun. Good news does not sell newspapers, as we are taught on marketing courses. Bad news does, e.g. “Factory burns down”, “Nuclear bomb obliterates 90% of London”, “Human race dead in 15 years” and so on. Over time, I have learned to take everything I read in the papers cum grano salis. In today’s Times, on page 2, in small print (“What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away.” Trad.), they have had to print a retraction (my word again; not an apology): “People aged above 50 will not be asked to stay at home en masse to avoid a second lockdown. Downing Street has said that the suggestion was inaccurate.” I feel vindicated. I rest my case. Punktum und Streusand drauf.
Coronavirus - COVID-19
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
362 of 393  Tue 4th Aug 2020 8:33pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2284

For some time now governments (of both colours) have 'leaked' plans to see how the public will react. If it goes badly they swear it was never a plan. If it goes well, you wake up to it as policy. I wouldn't rule out those over 50 with additional conditions being put into partial lock down.
Coronavirus - COVID-19
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
363 of 393  Tue 4th Aug 2020 8:34pm  

More need for cum grano salis: "The number of coronavirus deaths in Iran may be three times greater than admitted by the regime, according to data leaked to the BBC Persian Service". Source: Today's Times
Coronavirus - COVID-19
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
364 of 393  Tue 4th Aug 2020 8:41pm  

On 4th Aug 2020 8:33pm, Helen F said: For some time now governments (of both colours) have 'leaked' plans to see how the public will react. If it goes badly they swear it was never a plan. If it goes well, you wake up to it as policy. I wouldn't rule out those over 50 with additional conditions being put into partial lock down.
A year and a bit ago (pre-covid) I was up (down is more precise) the smoke at Olympia, at a seminar, and the speaker asked the audience about the base rate: "Will the BoE put it up or lower it?" The answer was that on the one hand it might go up, but on the other it might come down; nobody knows for certain.
Coronavirus - COVID-19
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
365 of 393  Tue 4th Aug 2020 9:19pm  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:320

Staff at Arena Tesco test positive The government has updated their Coronavirus website and it is now possible to see the number of cases in your local area in the last week. Go to "Weekly cases by local area in England" - "View Map" and type in your postcode. The data on the map currently covers 20-26 July. Peter.
Coronavirus - COVID-19
mcsporran
Coventry & Cebu
All posts by this member
366 of 393  Sun 9th Aug 2020 2:05pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:456

Some light-hearted thoughts on the current serious situation: So let me get this right, there’s no cure for a virus that can be killed by washing with soap? People are scared of getting fined or arrested for congregating in crowds, as if catching a deadly disease and dying a horrible death wasn’t enough of a deterrent. If these last months have taught us anything, it’s that stupidity travels faster than any virus. Remember when you were little and all your underwear had the days of the week on them. Those would be helpful right now. Just wait a second – so what you're telling me is that my chance of surviving all this is directly linked to the common sense of others? - You’re kidding, right? If you believe all this will end and we will get back to normal just because we re-open everything, raise your hand. Now slap yourself with it. Is it too early to put up the Christmas tree yet? I've run out of things to do.
Coronavirus - COVID-19
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
367 of 393  Sun 9th Aug 2020 2:15pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3571

mcsporran, if that wasn't so funny I would die laughing. All so very very true. Thanks for that. Thumbs up
Coronavirus - COVID-19
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
368 of 393  Sun 9th Aug 2020 2:40pm  

Lol Light hearted replies. Soap doesn't kill the virus it just makes your hands slippery and it falls off. Young people aren't scared of death, they're scared of missing out on getting so drunk they can't remember what they did last night, who with and why. They're hoping the track and trace will record it so they can upload any juicy non social distancing to YouTube. YouTube stupidity is faster than light and will arrive up to 5 days before the virus. You assume that all of them know the days of the week and or that they remember to put on pants. Keep idiots away with a two metre long pole... with a sharp pointy end. A spear or halberd should do, but remember to disinfect the end if contact is made. Couldn't hear the next question for the sound of slapping. I'm truly not bored. I'm getting more good stuff done now that I've got a good excuse to avoid the bad stuff. I'm thinking of getting an answer phone message saying that I can't come to the phone right now because the caller isn't in my bubble and my face mask is in the wash. Wink If you leave a message I'll get back to you when both of us have been vaccinated or not, if I forget... I will forget.
Coronavirus - COVID-19
argon
New Milton
All posts by this member
369 of 393  Mon 10th Aug 2020 12:11pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:362

I think that we may be misunderstanding the new strategy. We have all seen the overcrowding of south coast beaches and considered it foolish. I wonder if it may be part of the new plan. With the beaches heaving with people there is no space for illegal immigrants from France to land, it is a cost effective scheme. Wink
Coronavirus - COVID-19
Earlsdon Kid
Argyll & Bute, Scotland
All posts by this member
370 of 393  Mon 10th Aug 2020 5:11pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2017  Total posts:85

An alternative cost effective plan may be to cease paying France to try and stop illegal boats leaving the French coast! The UK could then request the French government pay the UK for the processing costs, Covid-19 testing and quarantine expenses of the illegal immigrants. This may, however, not go down too well in France!
Coronavirus - COVID-19
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
371 of 393  Tue 11th Aug 2020 5:17am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3571

The trouble is I guess it's the same over there as it is here. They, whoever want to take all the credit for the grand plan of things, do not tell us everything. I have just learned there was no plan laid out for the elderly in their retirement homes etc, hence a great number have died and homes closed. Their families were not allowed to visit them and in some cases, never saw them again. Very tragic circumstances. Our Premiers are doing their best they can but of course not enough for some. Sad
Coronavirus - COVID-19
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
372 of 393  Thu 13th Aug 2020 7:49pm  

Lies, damned lies, and statistics The government is to adopt a new method of counting the deaths from covid. Only those who have died within 28 days of testing positive are counted. The total is expected to fall by up to 75%. So the UK should drop from 4th place to somewhere further down the table. The reason, justification, or excuse is that it will enable second wave to be spotted earlier. Scientist have warned ministers, quite rightly when all’s said and done, that the figures will be inaccurate because those dying of the long covid will disappear from the list. In line with government thinking, I’m only going to be putting down income on my tax return where I’ve been paid in immediate cash, after no more than two days, because salary is always paid “in hand”, in other words late, so it doesn’t count.
Coronavirus - COVID-19
argon
New Milton
All posts by this member
373 of 393  Thu 13th Aug 2020 9:41pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:362

Slim, I don't think that you are alone. There are many people with the same view as yourself and it is understandable that there is frustration with the covid emergency but I feel that whoever inherited the management of the situation would have inherited a poisoned chalice. I cannot see how anyone can be sure of making the right decisions in such a novel situation and I think many of those that may have been asked to have been involved are thanking their lucky stars that they were not asked. Edited by member, 13th Aug 2020 9:43 pm
Coronavirus - COVID-19
Mr Blue Sky
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
All posts by this member
374 of 393  Sun 16th Aug 2020 11:23am  
Member: Joined Feb 2012  Total posts:64

Have you noticed there is a new blot on the landscape - discarded FACEMASKS. Will the IDIOTS ever learn?
Coronavirus - COVID-19
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
375 of 393  Sun 16th Aug 2020 11:42am  

We seem awash with litter, full stop, as if some people feel the need to make up for not dropping litter while on lock down.
Coronavirus - COVID-19

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 361 to 375 of 393 posts

Page 25 of 27

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .. 23 24 25 26 27
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Shops of yore
|

Next (newer) topic

Earl Street (inc. Palace Yard)