No actionNo action
8 posts:
Order:    

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
1 of 8  Mon 25th May 2020 8:38am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4376

Morning all, I had always intended this topic to be weather & blether. Here today, gone tomorrow. An over the garden fence 'yatter' kind of thing. Our weather interacts with so much of what we do or about. Whatever is shared, like the weather will be gone in a few days, we only keep current pages at any one time. Have a good day, all.
Coventry Weather & Blether
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
2 of 8  Sun 9th Aug 2020 12:35pm  

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall, Humpty Dumpty had a great fall. All the king’s horses and all the king’s men Couldn’t put Humpty together again. One experience that I have witnessed in my seventy odd years of life is the fundamentals of the last two lines of the nursery rhyme. Such is the complexity of our atmosphere, that even with the great expertise of today’s science, with all of the technology in the world, weather forecasting is bound up in percentages of probability. Yet there are some who profess to know it all. A virus, so small that we can't see it has brought our world to a point that no-one has experienced. It wasn't many weeks ago that parliament told us that by Christmas, we would be back to "normal". Normal & no pantomime! Who’s kidding who? It's certainly not "behind you!” or us yet! I confess that in March, tongue in cheek, I thought we would be singing & dancing by summer. Now, the swifts & swallows have gone. One ray of hope is the sun is just coming out. We have our forum for now, another positive. For me, my Pam is being hit hard with her current chemo, but puts on a brave face, day 5 (now) being particularly bruising. Thank you from me, for the team & forum friends who keep our channel open.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
3 of 8  Sun 9th Aug 2020 2:19pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2286

Sending you both cold hugs (warm ones are off the menu in this weather but the emotions are just the same). I had my first real hug this week with my bubble but the virtual ones have kept me going. Smile
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
4 of 8  Tue 11th Aug 2020 3:34pm  

Just chat. *********** Thermals, or cells, often behave like smoke rings. In my long gone pipe smoking days, I would often produce a smoke ring, which because it was warmer than the surrounding air, would rise, constantly folding over as it rose. Cloud cells often behave very similarly, where if the adiabatic ratio gradient is steep enough, the water gas gives up its latent heat, so adds heat to the thermal, which continually propels it upwards. Cell radar detects this activity. The tops of the cloud become iced, hence hail. Whilst in small size, starts to fall by weight, but melts before reaching the ground. We call that rain. Sometimes, the rain evaporates before leaving the cloud, starting a repeat process, which can then produce huge hail. It's this process which builds up the huge static electricity, which then earths itself to the ground. For our homework tonight, how many grains of rice are there in a rice pudding. Closing date for homework to be handed in was the last day of July. As daft as that is, it accurately sums up the difficulty for forecasters. There are just so many factors as to whether it will rain or not.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
5 of 8  Tue 11th Aug 2020 4:00pm  

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
6 of 8  Thu 17th Sep 2020 8:53am  

Morning all, Our 5-day meteogram for Coventry offers all weather information in 3 simple graphs: Temperature chart with weather pictograms. The time from sunrise to sunset is indicated in light yellow. Clouds in different altitudes: from few clouds (light grey) to overcast (dark grey). Dark blue bars show hourly precipitation and light blue showers. An asterisk indicates snow fall. Forecasts for wind speeds are blue and for gusts are green. The arrowheads point in the same direction as the wind.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
7 of 8  Fri 18th Sep 2020 8:53am  

Morning all, It's my intention to revert to regular forecasts for the start of the week, mid week & then the weekend. I've increased the frequency as a learning curve for the pictogram weather chart. I will leave yesterdays up as a comparison but what todays chart is showing is the same weather pattern until Tuesday, when there is a risk of rain from midday onwards, but clearing up for the evening.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
8 of 8  Sun 20th Sep 2020 8:54am  

Good morning Unsettled after Monday. Uncertainty regards just how much rain on Wednesday. So will post updates. If pressure remains higher than forecast, as indeed it is on Tuesday, the rain volume may be less. Compare the previous meteogram on the previous post.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Brownshill Green
|

Next (newer) topic

Apprentice Sports
View similar topics in the News, Media and Current Affairs category