No actionNo action
10 posts:
Order:    

Mick Strong
Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 10  Mon 9th Nov 2020 10:16am  
Member: Joined Oct 2020  Total posts:382

Hi all, Having been away from the forum for some 6 or 7 years, I have started by reading all old topics. Starting at the last post on page 35 of the topics. From page 30 to 35 inclusive, there are 11 topics with only one post, some with questions that never got answered. It got me wondering as to how far back members looked at the topics? Or do we just read the most recent?
Mick Strong

Memories and Nostalgia - Old Topics
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 10  Mon 9th Nov 2020 10:46am  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1656

That is a very good point Mick. I think it's natural for most people popping in to the forum to look at the first lot of topics that they see - which will normally be the most recently answered. However, as you rightly point out, a lot of older topics got left behind with unanswered questions, and I'm as guilty as anyone for neglecting them. So, if any members would like to delve in and see if they can revive some of those old threads, please go ahead and have fun!
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
3 of 10  Mon 9th Nov 2020 10:57am  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2615

Hi Mick, I still haven't gone all the way through the back catalogue and even of those I did read I was mostly looking for images but if a question is within my ability to answer I try to do so. A lot more resources have come available over the years, so it's both easier to answer questions but also easier for those looking for answers to find the same sources. Unfortunately people miss each other as they wander in and out. It's the way of forums I'm afraid. When I started reading about 8 years ago I knew almost nothing about the city. Now I know more but have more questions than ever. Roll eyes The key to getting questions answered is perseverance and I'm not the only one to get what I'm looking for long after I asked the question. Thumbs up
Mick Strong
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 10  Mon 9th Nov 2020 11:31am  

Hi Helen and thanks. You are correct about the drifting, my first post was September 2013 and then posted regularly until February 2014. I then drifted until October this year and again became re-addicted (if there is such a word) Going back through the posts has bought back many memories and yes I have missed some peoples questions. Hopefully I can help with some of yours in the future. Mick
Mick Strong

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
5 of 10  Mon 9th Nov 2020 1:38pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3479

Well, I will be the first to apologise for not replying to any post I have missed and not answered. I have no doubt there have been a few and there is a little corner of me full of guilt. I daresay there are a few members who have felt the same in the past, and like me have been members of this great/best/informative/educational forum since almost its conception. Forgiveness being the operative word and may continue as long as this forum does. Long may HCF reign and our memories also. Wave
Mick Strong
Coventry
All posts by this member
6 of 10  Mon 9th Nov 2020 2:39pm  

Hi Dreamtime It wasn't a criticism and there is no need for apologies. But my catching up after so long, I thought it best to start at the back end. To explain my point a little better. From page 14 onwards, there are 880 topics that no one has visited for over 2 years!!
Mick Strong

scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
7 of 10  Mon 9th Nov 2020 4:08pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:754

Hello Mick, I know that all the topics have been visited because I was absent for a while and also started at the back end. It was very hard because you also need to keep up with the present posts, took a while but I read everyone. Some I dragged back into the more recent posts but you cannot answer all the questions and that is one of the beauties of this forum because other people can. Some I read I thought best left where they are because they are that old and short are they still with us. I have been here since the start 2010. We do not know when members pass on, shame really, now there’s a thought?Thumbs up
Mick Strong
Coventry
All posts by this member
8 of 10  Mon 9th Nov 2020 4:25pm  

Hi Scrutiny, perhaps visited was the wrong word. Should have really said "responded to". Like you, I wanted to respond to some old ones, but do not know the lay of the land and whether they are best left alone?
Mick Strong

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
9 of 10  Mon 9th Nov 2020 4:54pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5607

Scrutiny, Mick, et al. It is suggested that, if you come across “an old post” which catches your interest, but gives you some cause for concern, you should click on “All posts by this member” alongside the message, which will give you some sort of clue as to whether the person who made the post is a current user of the forum. Not 100% fail safe, but it’s a good guide. If they haven’t posted since that one, or for any length of time, then it might be worth asking a moderator to check when they last visited the forum, which obviously can be different from the date they last posted. We rarely get an indication as to why a “regular” correspondent stops posting - sometimes we can put two and two together Wink - and of course a number of people join simply to raise a particular query, with little or no interest to remain on the forum beyond that. Thanks for highlighting this area which “the team” has often discussed.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
10 of 10  Tue 10th Nov 2020 2:19am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3479

On 9th Nov 2020 2:39pm, Mick Strong said: Hi Dreamtime It wasn't a criticism and there is no need for apologies. But my catching up after so long, I thought it best to start at the back end.
As they say down under, 'No worries, mate' Thumbs up

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

What were you told?
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry & Warwickshire Hospital