No actionNo action
29 posts:
Order:    

Garlands Joke Shop
Coventry
All posts by this member
16 of 29  Wed 23rd Dec 2020 9:09pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:216

Merry Christmas to all on this Forum!!! Wave (by the way, don't forget about the 6pm Christmas Eve doorstep bell jingle tomorrow) Thumbs up
News, Media and Current Affairs - Christmas / New Year Wishes
JohnnieWalker
Bonny Hills, Australia
All posts by this member
17 of 29  Thu 24th Dec 2020 6:16am  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:269

A Christmas Tale…… While llamas watched their flocks by night, the shepherds were unemployed. Without the cash for Christmas presents, they were quite annoyed! They stood outside the farmer’s house, chanting, waving fists. Till he emerged, explaining “Blame the damned economists! They’re all obsessed with profits - not the sort you’re looking for! And so, my friends, I had no choice but show you all the door! We farmers like the llamas, ’cause they cost much less than you. You’ll have to look for jobs elsewhere, try the farmers in Peru!” Peru, indeed, the shepherds thought, revenge their primary aim! If it comes to economics – well, two can play that game! With Christmas only days away, they judged the time was right, And cut out giant crop circles, working through the night. The Second Coming, they declared; made sure the Press were told. A hundred thousand pilgrims booked to see events unfold. To add to the illusion, they hired two hot air balloons, And a choir of ersatz angels to sing some Christmas tunes. With mystery lights across the sky, crop circles and the rest, The pilgrims all were quite convinced that they were truly blessed! At fifteen hundred quid a head, these shepherds made a mint, And to think that only days before, each one of them was skint! The farmer, not to be outdone, put on a flowing gown, And stood atop the highest point above the little town. Addressing all the multitude, in this holy atmosphere, He told them to be patient, “Please come back again next year!” The farmer and the shepherds, reconciled in mutual gain, Agreed to work together on this annual gravy train. I guess it only shows that the economists were right – You can always turn a profit if He turns up on the night! John Walker
True Blue Coventry Kid

PhiliPamInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
18 of 29  Thu 24th Dec 2020 6:45pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3720

Hi all. How a year has affected us all worldwide quite apart from the politics. If I was to have said to you this time last year, "Come on chaps, get your masks on, we are going to the bank", there would have been blue flashing lights everywhere, but it's quite a normal activity today. Pam’s & my faith has kept us alive this year, I believe. Both in spirit & body. A public forum like ours, which I love, is not the place for me to lecture or argue with anyone, even more so as a team member on any aspect of our beliefs. What we believe is for you & me, & for a mutual respect between each of us. I so want to give everyone a message of hope, but to do that, I have to accept the failings of me, along with the myths & responsibilities. I am so disappointed with the established churches worldwide, no matter what creed, sitting on their hands though the worst crisis in living memory. I am familiar with the writings of the world's great religions. I don't pretend to be an expert. I barely scratch the surface on any. In words alone, five of the world's great religious writings are not miles apart in content. I never point a finger at anyone else. I'm going to leave you with just two passages, which are very common in meaning. "God tells His people that if we will come humbly before Him... He will heal our land". That itself is self explanatory. The second is this. "The Lord God Omnipotent reigns". I've added that because there is no get out. That statement means to me that everything, pestilence, destruction, disease, pandemic, no matter what, is ordained by Him. I cannot hide behind His cloak & pretend that isn't there. If I'm telling you something, you will always get the whole issue, no matter what, to the best of my limited ability. So in this year, where so many plans are in tatters, my deepest wish for all of you dear souls, our forum members, is that His people will turn to Him, & that He will heal our land. Whether you have a faith or not, my love is to each of you all, try to keep safe. My plans for future forum involvement are not clear. Again, love to you all, you folk who have meant so much to Pam & me, & still do.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
19 of 29  Thu 24th Dec 2020 7:49pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4918

Thank you, Philip, for those wonderful words - words I wish I could have laid down on here. I can merely echo them. Love and best wishes for Christmas and the New Year go to each and every member of this wonderful forum. Thanks again to Rob for creating it, and to all those members who have continued to support it, and also to those new members who have only just found us. Stay safe everyone Wave
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
20 of 29  Thu 24th Dec 2020 7:54pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2012  Total posts:706

I find this bible passage reassuring but don't pretend to understand it completely . . Before Abraham, I Am.
PhiliPamInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
21 of 29  Thu 24th Dec 2020 8:07pm  

Me neither, Heathite. No joke. It gives me hope. Love & best wishes to you & your friends & family.
PhiliPamInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
22 of 29  Fri 25th Dec 2020 10:18am  

On 24th Dec 2020 7:49pm, Midland Red said: Thank you, Philip, for those wonderful words - words I wish I could have laid down on here. I can merely echo them. Love and best wishes for Christmas and the New Year go to each and every member of this wonderful forum. Thanks again to Rob for creating it, and to all those members who have continued to support it, and also to those new members who have only just found us. Stay safe everyone Wave
The ramifications of our forum are so huge. I love telling folk that you & I went all the way to Crewe one Friday for fish & chips (as you do). You recommended curry sauce with it. I've never looked back since. The forum folk we have bumped into over the years, Les & Gilly coming thousands of miles for a forum breaky, our friends from Warrington, Leeds, Tamworth, Wigan.... it's never ending. Thank you indeed, Rob.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
23 of 29  Fri 25th Dec 2020 11:20am  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2876

I'm hoping that everyone's Christmas is as good as it could be and an impossible bit extra. I've listened to some carols and service, I've eaten crumpets and chocolate, the bird is in the oven, so I'm now officially in a Christmas mood. I know, I know, there are waaaay too many thingies on the tree but most of them were presents from my nearest and dearest, so I can't leave them off. Warm hugs for everyone and best wishes. Wave
PhiliPamInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
24 of 29  Thu 31st Dec 2020 11:15am  

Morning all, REST YE APART. I'm not feeling philosophical today, you will be pleased to hear, you will, you will! I'm more "sillyfosical" today. You know, keeping an eye out for if the white van arrives. Morrison's van came yesterday. Pam is bright & cheerful, looking forward to what the new year brings. Most of us can't change the bad things in life, or cure the folk causing the issues. We can only control what is within our realm & that's my hope for all of us. Hold tight, the vaccine is just around the corner. Pam & I have not felt so well in ages, I've got my energy back from us both having had COVID-19. If that's not encouragement to me, I don't know what is. My thoughts are towards the folk who are economically affected, as well as sick, from this pandemic. A big thank you to our forum team, as well as those who substitute for the team when needed, those who contribute to discussions as well as those who just read. HAPPY NEW YEAR.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
25 of 29  Thu 31st Dec 2020 12:24pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2324

What other forum would house such heart warming friends. I don't know what I would do if you were not there when I turn you on. Whether we agree on various topics or not we respect other's decisions and always there for comforting words. Wishing you all good health in the new year ahead and put the past year well behind us. I will be thinking of you all during your Dreamtime.
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
26 of 29  Thu 31st Dec 2020 4:59pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:660

That, Dreamtime is so well put, I also the same. Wishing you and all on here as well as others the very, very best for the New Year. Cheers Cheers Wave
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
27 of 29  Fri 1st Jan 2021 10:11am  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1491

I can only echo the good wishes that have already been said. I think that this year must surely be guaranteed to be better than the last..... surely? Big grin Cheers
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
28 of 29  Fri 1st Jan 2021 10:27am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3414

Yes, I too can only wish the same, even to the ones I have upset.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
29 of 29  Fri 1st Jan 2021 3:27pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2324

Kaga, 'upset' never, just differences of opinion. Wink

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 29 of 29 posts

Page 2 of 2