Topic categories:

Today! (General Non-Coventry Current Issues)

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 19 posts

Page 1 of 2

1 2
Next pageNo action
19 posts:
Order:    

Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
1 of 19  Thu 28th Jan 2021 1:10pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:432

A few miles along the coast from us is the village of Portsoy. This was the filming location a few years ago for the re-adaptation of the Ealing Classic 'Whisky Galore'. An acquaintance of ours, a self employed TV/satellite installer was tasked with removing aerials & dishes from local properties. Once filming was completed he was then employed to re-instate them with brand new equipment. Now he is repeating the process due to the location being used to film 'Peaky Blinders' (a long way from Birmingham and the Black Country)! The centre has been closed off for a couple of weeks now, with another couple to go I am led to believe. The producers were advertising for extras but I'm too frightened of catching the old Kung Flu to volunteer! Apparently, (for those members who are familiar with the programme), Series 6 will be the last, however S7 is being abridged & adapted for the cinema, so I'm not sure which of these Portsoy is being used for. Edited by member, 29th Jan 2021 10:36 am
Osmiroid
UK
All posts by this member
2 of 19  Wed 3rd Feb 2021 11:49pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2013  Total posts:400

What the council have done to the centre of Solihull,
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
3 of 19  Thu 4th Feb 2021 9:01am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5152

That’s dreadful, Osmiroid Oh my
OddSock
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 19  Thu 4th Feb 2021 9:50am  
Member: Joined Mar 2018  Total posts:52

Hi all, Following the sad passing of Captain Tom, I thought I'd 'test the water' as to how others feel about the subject? Personally, I have no ill-will against the man - he came across as a lovely, old gentleman with a positive outlook. His passion and gratitude for the NHS looked sincere, and he was no doubt appreciative of the public getting behind his fund-raising to support NHS workers on such a huge scale. That said, and again personally, I believe the main reason for why his fund-raising proved so successful was that the public just needed a conduit to channel their appreciation for the NHS. Nobody could have been unmoved by the pictures and reports, coming out of hospitals, showing A&E departments at full stretch, and nurses/doctors being pushed to their limits. The virus, once something happening in a distant country, was now likely to bang down your door and take your loved ones - and the NHS workers were your last line of defence! Captain Tom was that conduit. You could make your donation, believing that the money would end up supporting those individuals working so hard to keep the virus at bay, not squandered away on a daft statue or the like - it's little wonder that the money poured in, we quite rightly love our NHS! It was a 'good news' story! However, and I'm sure this is where others will disagree, is being the 'right man, right time, right place' worthy of receiving a knighthood? I don't subscribe to the "he just walked around his garden" brigade - he was a frail old gentleman and, on balance, it was a great achievement. That said, during this pandemic there will have been hundreds, if not thousands, whose efforts have been equally worthy of such an honour - and yet our history books will not remember them? Don't get me wrong, let us all remember Captain Tom Moore lovingly, but I would be intrigued to hear the opinions of fellow forum members on this subject? Edited by member, 4th Feb 2021 9:54 am
OddSock: Particularly interested in the family surnames Cowley, Shale, & Pratt in Coventry!

Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 19  Thu 4th Feb 2021 10:13am  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1499

I think, OddSock, that many others, myself included, will completely agree with you. I also think that many would not have been able to say what you've said without inadvertently wording it in a way that could cause offence. You have managed to explain a sensitive issue with such great care and diplomacy, and I applaud you for that. What Captain Sir Tom Moore achieved was magnificent, and I do hope that many other unsung heroes also will eventually receive due recognition for their super efforts.
Mick Strong
Coventry
All posts by this member
6 of 19  Thu 4th Feb 2021 10:33am  
Member: Joined Oct 2020  Total posts:415

"However, and I'm sure this is where others will disagree, is being the 'right man, right time, right place' worthy of receiving a knighthood? I don't subscribe to the "he just walked around his garden" brigade - he was a frail old gentleman and, on balance, it was a great achievement. That said, during this pandemic there will have been hundreds, if not thousands, whose efforts have been equally worthy of such an honour - and yet our history books will not remember them?" Hi OddSock I was in the street clapping for him, but that said, I agree with a lot of what you say. The giving of Knighthoods to certain people has always puzzled me. Take this years, a guy got made a Sir for driving a car that he gets paid millions to do!!!!!!!!!!
Mick Strong

Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
7 of 19  Thu 4th Feb 2021 10:46am  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2423

A lot of people from all walks of life get no recognition. I'd rather the Captain Toms of this world get gongs than celebs and sports people. I come from a family of power station people, when did you ever hear special mention for those who 'keep the lights on'? I knew miners who thought that supplying energy was more important than striking and all they got was abuse. When did we celebrate effluent workers? People need a catalyst and Captain Tom was a wonderful person to focus on.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
8 of 19  Fri 5th Feb 2021 5:57pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3629

I have no doubt that such a vote now would be fostered by what was going to hit hardest in our pockets. If it is understood. Anyway, it's chocolate time.
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
9 of 19  Fri 12th Feb 2021 9:38am  

For those interested, a couple of weeks ago I posted: "A few miles along the coast from us is the village of Portsoy. This was the filming location a few years ago for the re-adaptation of the Ealing Classic 'Whisky Galore'. An acquaintance of ours, a self employed TV/satellite installer was tasked with removing aerials & dishes from local properties. Once filming was completed he was then employed to re-instate them with brand new equipment. Now he is repeating the process due to the location being used to film 'Peaky Blinders' (a long way from Birmingham and the Black Country!) The centre has been closed off for a couple of weeks now, with another couple to go I am led to believe. The producers were advertising for extras but I'm too frightened of catching the old Kung Flu to volunteer! Apparently (for those members who are familiar with the programme), Series 6 will be the last, however S7 is being abridged & adapted for the cinema, so I'm not sure which of these Portsoy is being used for." I can now say that it has been turned into a French village! Cillian Murphy was out yesterday in the snow and mist. Today is the penultimate day of filming apparently. A building has also been turned into a 'prison'. There were a few vintage cars about as well. This is for the last series (6).
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
10 of 19  Mon 15th Feb 2021 11:18am  

Update from my post on the 'Peaky Blinders' filming from Friday is that members of the film & production crew, along with a canary, were stranded and needed emergency accommodation over the weekend due to travel chaos caused by road closures because of drifting snow! Dozens of motorists were offered spare rooms by locals in the town of Huntly and a hotel north of the town put up 28 people at no charge (Castle Hotel). At times like this we see the best in people Big grin and unfortunately the worst Angry regarding the postman in Falkirk who left a 72 year old woman lying in the snow after she fell outside her front door, because he was "knackered" last week.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
11 of 19  Fri 19th Feb 2021 11:44am  

Hi all, Fake news issues, or journalistic understanding or misunderstanding, is ever more an issue where we cannot see the chemistry of who’s posting. Some news feeds produce alarming bits of info which we have no way of trusting. We get to know one another on our forum here. "Oh it's him again", sorry I will be quick. Most of you on here I have never met in person, but after a few posts, some of the chemistry does rub off. So we get the real gist of the issue. That I believe is a huge value with what we share on here, as we are accountable to each other. Carry on, please.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
12 of 19  Mon 22nd Feb 2021 1:01pm  

Hi all, MONEY FOR OLD ROPE? Have you ever wondered or pondered over the costs of "Standing Charges"? Parliamentary acts regarding the issues of public sanitation, passed over a century ago, required every household to pay the standing charges for the provision of water, whether they took water or not. Gas & power companies were then quick off the mark to follow suit, which then resulted in the national power boards, like West Midlands Gas & East Midlands Electricity. Now that utilities are privatised, are the standing charges valid? Those with smart meters, the scenario is highlighted because before I've burnt any energy, my meter shows fifty pence each day. At least with power, you don't pay anything if your not connected, unlike water rates. That's often been a bone of contention with farmers, who may be miles from any water main, who draw their water from artesian wells. My uncle, who farmed in Cornwall, was in this category. Originally he was so isolated he had a diesel generator for power, which operated the well pump. He got no assistance for his costs, yet had to pay a general water rate for water that he had to surface & filter. For power usage, it's not an incentive to be efficient, as the more effective our power conservation, the bigger the proportion costs of the standing orders. The chances are that any home owner, on gas & electric, plus water anyway, will be paying around £20 per month for nothing.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
13 of 19  Mon 22nd Feb 2021 3:07pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1782

When I worked at the EMEB in the 60’s Phil, standing charges were not shown as a separate figure but were added to the first units used. I worked for several years in the prepayment section dealing with slot meter accounts. As far as I remember the first 72 units were something like 6d and the rest at 1.1/2d. Credit accounts were charged in a similar way but a bit cheaper. Therefore if you only used a few units you only paid the standing charge on those few units (this of course caused a lot of confusion on slot meters as the meters would be set to cover the consumers average consumption over the rates and people relied on getting a refund but if they suddenly dropped consumption the average cost would increase and they perhaps had not enough to cover it, the times I had to explain to people why they had not got a refund!). I don’t know when the standing charge became a separate item, probably when private companies took over, but as you say, now if you don’t use much gas in the summer you are still paying a standing charge every day. Added to this is all this business of having to change your tariff or your supplier every year, so it is more or less impossible to compare tariffs, do I go for a higher standing charge and lower rate or the other way round? When you go on comparison sites they give you a wonderful figure that means nothing. The only way is to do your own calculation, do they make it easy to find the unit rates? No! I can understand that standing charges are to cover the cost of providing the meter and other expenses but it also used to be to cover the cost of reading the meter, so with a smart meter shouldn’t that cost be reduced?
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
14 of 19  Mon 22nd Feb 2021 3:54pm  

Thank you for that, Anne, What prompted me into this subject is the risk of new standing charges that may be applied to rates, for national flood defences, as well as a tax levy for the pandemic costs. Maybe fuel tax or the like. Once applied, they often stick around. Again, thank you.
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
15 of 19  Mon 22nd Feb 2021 7:27pm  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:298

Income tax was introduced as a temporary measure in 1842. Sad

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 19 posts

Page 1 of 2

1 2
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry School
|

Next (newer) topic

Help with tips of places to walk to?
View similar topics in the Non-Coventry category