No actionNo action
21 posts:
Order:    

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
16 of 21  Thu 18th Feb 2021 10:29am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3629

On 17th Feb 2021 7:36pm, JohnnieWalker said: I was taken to the Sunday School in Macdonald Road, just round the corner from home, when I was five years old. I quickly came to the conclusion that I wasn't interested in Bible stories and hymns, and walked out, never to return! Indoctrination, of any sort, wasn't for me, even at that age!
Hi Johnnie, Did you know the Richards family? Both sons went to King Henry prep school, the dad looked after Stoke Hill Guildhouse hostel. They lived in MacDonald Rd, before having a purpose built house on the estate. I remember MacDonald Rd, unadopted, with cobbles, no tarmac.
Sunday School
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
17 of 21  Thu 18th Feb 2021 2:15pm  

Thanks to everyone for keeping this kind of subject as an easy to read topic. So much in life we are pre-conditioned, who knows what my take would be if brought up in a far eastern type home. That's why I will never point fingers at anyone. A STORY. Are you sitting comfy! During my late teens, I was asked to play piano for a Coventry city centre youth meeting at the Sibree Hall. I was deputising for a lady pianist, a one time musician of the year calibre. I will show them, I thought. Over 400 youngsters, plus a huge festival choir. All went so well, I had practised until my fingers had bled. At the end, the Sunday school chorus "The Thank You Chorus" . Each verse went up in pitch a semitone. There are musical techniques for changing keys midstream, no problem for big-head me, until about the third verse there was screeching & coughing, so bad. There were still four verses to go. I then realised that I was putting each verse up a whole tone. Not a forgiving lot, 400 youngsters, as the event turned into a circus. Thank goodness it was the end. I did get over it, & was asked back several times after, but it was often a talking point.
Sunday School
JohnnieWalker
Bonny Hills, Australia
All posts by this member
18 of 21  Thu 18th Feb 2021 7:46pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:283

On 18th Feb 2021 10:29am, PhilipInCoventry said: Hi Johnnie, Did you know the Richards family? Both sons went to King Henry prep school, the dad looked after Stoke Hill Guildhouse hostel. They lived in MacDonald Rd, before having a purpose built house on the estate. I remember MacDonald Rd, unadopted, with cobbles, no tarmac.
Hi Philip I don't think I knew the Richards family. I remember the two Wendies - Bull and Bray, and Richard Brock (who famously let us know early one Christmas Day that Santa had brought him a trumpet - and a loud one too! Lol) - all of whom were in my year at Ravensdale.
True Blue Coventry Kid

Sunday School
Kevin D J D
Warwickshire
All posts by this member
19 of 21  Thu 18th Feb 2021 11:13pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2021  Total posts:5

I appear to be the odd one out here. I was born in 1950, my local church was Ss Mary & Benedict, 52A Raglan St, Coventry. To this day I am a practicing Catholic.
Sunday School
Mick Strong
Coventry
All posts by this member
20 of 21  Fri 19th Feb 2021 9:26am  
Member: Joined Oct 2020  Total posts:415

Kevin, nothing odd about that. Well done!!!!!
Mick Strong

Sunday School
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
21 of 21  Fri 19th Feb 2021 10:20am  

On 18th Feb 2021 11:13pm, Kevin D J D said: I appear to be the odd one out here. I was born in 1950, my local church was Ss Mary & Benedict, 52A Raglan St, Coventry. To this day I am a practicing Catholic.
Hi & thank you, Kevin & Mick. I agree. Whilst doing a job at Birmingham university campus, during a lunch break I walked along to the Birmingham Oratory, where even though I was only viewing, I was made most welcome. I had conversation with a cleric, that was a sheer delight. He knew his stuff.
Sunday School

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 21 of 21 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Lee Beesley
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Archives