No actionNo action
20 posts:
Order:    

PhiliPamInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
16 of 20  Thu 22nd Jul 2021 10:24am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3610

Hi all, Fantasy & pretend. I don't think that there's a lot wrong with a bit of fantasy, provided we are not hoodwinked. Father Christmas… the list is endless. One evening when I was about six years old, dad was driving us back from visiting an aunt in Oxford, when I can remember asking about cats’ eyes that I could see in the middle of the road. As mum was about to explain, dad interrupted & explained that they were switched on & off by Hobgoblins that ran along the roads. Have you memories of fantasy stories?
Friendly Chat
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
17 of 20  Thu 22nd Jul 2021 11:37am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2381

Philip, on the subject of Father Christmas who, incidentally, still draws my attention, I was about six too when I found lots of small packages in my parents’ wardrobe. I could not help myself but have a rustle through to see what was what. Having put them back in place, or so I thought, I was reprimanded severely for what I had done. Even at that age I felt so guilty as mum said to me "do you want your gifts now or not at all?" Well, I didn't know what to say and for a few days leading up to that magic morning I had never felt so rotten, but to see those gifts all wrapped in lovely Christmas paper I knew I was forgiven and all was forgotten. You could say I had grown two more years that morning and had never loved my mum and dad more. They must have known that it was punishment enough for me to feel the guilt. So every time I see a Santa now I remember that special Christmas. Edited by member, 23rd Jul 2021 4:45 am
Friendly Chat
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
18 of 20  Fri 23rd Jul 2021 7:22pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2634

When I was little, I heard all about my sister's imaginary friend Plodgy. A naughty fellow by all accounts. It also turned out that my brother had had one too. I was much dismayed that I'd never even seen a hint of an imaginary friend, which seemed to be all the fashion, so I made one up. Was I the only person in history with an imaginary, imaginary friend?
Friendly Chat
PhiliPamInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
19 of 20  Fri 23rd Jul 2021 10:36pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3610

Hi all, I don't want to get shot down for "genderisms", but, was invented friends a girly thing? My entire schooling was in all boys schools & being an only child, my girl behaviour experiences were very few & far between. I can't recall any of my chums putting pen to paper, leave alone having imaginary friends. My mum used to ask me if Fumph had done something, that I was failing to own up to sometimes. My mum accommodated a school exchange pupil, from Holland, a last minute affair to help a neighbour out, as her daughter had measles. Sharon was her name. She was a prolific letter writter, very good English too. She had loads of pen friends. Can anyone help me on this?

Question

Friendly Chat
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
20 of 20  Fri 23rd Jul 2021 11:27pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2634

I think in my sister's case it was a shortage of kids her age. He got abandoned when a baby brother and sister turned up. 4 was a crowd. She wasn't very old. Mum got into trouble a few times for accidentally sitting on the invisible mate.
Friendly Chat

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 20 of 20 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

St John's Street
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry's Co-operative Societies