Next pageNo action
21 posts:
Order:    

Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 21  Fri 5th Mar 2021 2:06pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1490

If we ever need reminding that this Historic Coventry Forum ought to be kept "on track" and decent, it might be this.... Our daughter has recently begun a placement at a Primary School, as part of her qualifying year. Teaching is all she's ever wanted to do, as she loves to help children progress both educationally and as decent human beings. During her first week, which was with 6-7 year-olds, when history was mentioned, she asked the teacher what resources they used. The teacher opened the browser and showed her the familiar cream & brown Historic Coventry. "Wow, that's my dad's website" exclaimed Mandy, proudly! The teacher told her that they particularly enjoy the "Now and Then" pictures, to see how our city used to look. So now we know that children from 5 to 11 years old (and beyond) will be using the site - and many will, out of childlike curiosity, click the links and wander onto this discussion part. These impressionable youngsters, folks, are part of our audience. Connected with this subject is the fact that only children of 13 years and above are allowed on Facebook - for good reason - so that style of social media is not where we wish this site to end up.
Friendly Chat
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
2 of 21  Sat 6th Mar 2021 10:39am  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2743

Re very old topics - questions were and will be asked before there are enough information and experienced members to answer. Some people have posted and then never returned because they don't get much of a response. Sadly they sometimes get a reply long after and it makes me sad that people miss a potential connection. It's the nature of the limited and dwindling number of people with old memories or the same ancestry. There is value in returning and bumping a long lost question every now and then to see if things have changed. If those old posts are deleted, then there will never be a starting point. However there isn't much point artificially bumping old topics because it just makes work that the original poster won't appreciate. I asked loads of questions that I can now answer and loads I still can't.
Friendly Chat
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
3 of 21  Sat 11th Sep 2021 10:33pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:1595

Edited by member, 11th Sep 2021 11:30 pm Post copied from topic Shops of yore on 13th Sep 2021 4:36 pm
Friendly Chat
JohnnieWalker
Bonny Hills, Australia
All posts by this member
4 of 21  Sun 12th Sep 2021 7:53am  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:264

Those stars look familiar, Prof. Dreamtime - any ideas?
True Blue Coventry Kid

Friendly Chat
argon
New Milton
All posts by this member
5 of 21  Sun 12th Sep 2021 12:39pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:337

One more example of our rip off society. I needed to renew a subscription for AVG VPN program and this time checked the renewal price carefully. Found it far too high. Checked other trusted sites and found many offers half of the AVG price. Cancelled AVG and paid for a different one. Received email today from AVG qouting a price half of their original quote. A common modern business practice it seems. Where have trust and loyalty gone. I'm too old! Roll eyes
Friendly Chat
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
6 of 21  Sun 12th Sep 2021 4:51pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2361

Argon, I keep getting new deals from AVG, they are as you say but I just delete. Roll eyes
Friendly Chat
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
7 of 21  Sun 12th Sep 2021 5:06pm  

Perhaps an Aussie put them up, JW! Wink Clever though.
Friendly Chat
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
8 of 21  Mon 13th Sep 2021 6:13am  

Prof, The last time I was walking through the Arcade was to pay the last £2 on my Singer Sewing machine but the shop had gone. Wonder what the interest would be from 1974. I would add there was no notice on the door as to where they had moved to. Psss... and I don't really want to know, but I felt a sense of guilt at the time. BTW, the stars look like the formation on the Australian flag. I am presuming that's what JW was thinking. Hope all is well with you folks and families. GYJ (get your jabs). I have seen a few t-shirts with that emblazoned on the front. Someone is making some money out of that little venture.
Friendly Chat
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
9 of 21  Mon 13th Sep 2021 9:08am  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1815

Hi Dreamtime. To make you feel better I have looked in the newspaper and it appears that the sewing machine shop was owned by a rather dodgy business man who owed money all over the place. He did not pay his creditors either and around that time lots of people were looking for him. There is a long article in the CET. Go and enjoy spending your £2.
Friendly Chat
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
10 of 21  Mon 13th Sep 2021 9:17am  

Thank you kindly Anne, you are indeed a gem. What would ₤2 buy me today (roughly $4)? Maybe a cup of coffee. Thumbs up
Friendly Chat
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
11 of 21  Mon 13th Sep 2021 9:21am  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1815

Only a small cup!
Friendly Chat
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
12 of 21  Mon 13th Sep 2021 9:58am  

Anne, what a lovely thing to do for Dreamtime! Now she no longer needs to have even a glimmer of remembered guilt. Smile Circumstances were truly out of her control.
Friendly Chat
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
13 of 21  Mon 13th Sep 2021 3:57pm  

Helen, And do you know what, that same sewing machine came out here with our total household on a container ship, P & O Lines and I eventually gave it away for a more updated model a few years later. It travelled miles and miles of stitching curtaining. I am sure someone wrote a song about a sewing machine being a girl’s best friend. Lol Lol Lol
Friendly Chat
PhiliPamInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
14 of 21  Mon 13th Sep 2021 5:14pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3658

Sewing machines in song Playing in bands for years, there's hardly a subject not covered, from boiled beef to smelly feet.
Friendly Chat
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
15 of 21  Mon 13th Sep 2021 5:19pm  

Lol As a teen I came to a truce with sewing machines. If I didn't try to use them, they wouldn't try to sew my fingers to the material or give me bruises from the treadle. As an adult I've tried again with an electric machine but our relationship will never be close.
Friendly Chat

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 21 posts

Page 1 of 2

1 2
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Shops of yore
|

Next (newer) topic

City Wall and Gates (inc. Cook Street)