No actionNo action
5 posts:
Order:    

NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 5  Tue 9th Mar 2021 5:17pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2802

Surprised we have no dedicated thread for Paynes Lane so thought I'd start one. Mods please move/amend as seemed fit but wanted to add this one from Paul Daly on FB. We've had similar before but not this exact image looking back towards Far Gosford pre-Sky Blue Way.
Paynes Lane
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
2 of 5  Tue 9th Mar 2021 6:02pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5116

Excellent find, Neil. Remember it so well, as Lloyds on the corner was my first bank. Thumbs up You’re quite right, it is surprising that Payne’s Lane hasn’t had its own thread in all these years. Oh my But.... it gets a whole host of mentions on the Forum, within shops, garages threads, Yardley, All Saints Lane, Binley Road, Gosford Green, Far Gosford Street, etc etc. So.... it is hoped that, before any questions are raised, members will use the “search” facility, just to see if the matter has previously been discussed. For example, I know that there are two pet shops in the row of four in the photo, but they’ve been mentioned in the past - so, I won’t mention them again, here. Wink
Paynes Lane
Gilfach
North wales
All posts by this member
3 of 5  Wed 24th Mar 2021 10:37am  
Member: Joined Mar 2021  Total posts:1

My son found this Coventry site with the ‘Paynes Lane‘ post. We are the Payne family and I was told when I was a boy in the 1950’s that Payne’s Lane was named after my great grandfather who had the only cottage in that lane at the time. This is quite possible as my grandmother Payne lived in Hillfields originally which is just below Payne’s Lane. The Payne family were very prominent in the city. There was Payne’s electrical shops, Payne’s newsagents and my grandmother Payne owned all of the street corner newspaper stands selling the Daily Telegraph. My father, Jack Payne, became a famous musical hall entertainer known as ‘The Whistling Newsboy’. This was in the early 1930’s.
Rjpayne

Paynes Lane
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
4 of 5  Wed 24th Mar 2021 11:57am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5116

‘The Coventry Newsboy’ has a mention on here. Thumbs up
Paynes Lane
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
5 of 5  Wed 24th Mar 2021 12:35pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2505

Hi Gilfach, welcome to the forum Wave Paynes Lane is there on the 1850 map and it was being filled with new houses on the west side. At the most northern end was Primrose Hill and a place called The Parsonage and the Lodge for Primrose Hill House. The building that became the Binley Oak PH (opposite East Street) was there but not really a cottage. One possible candidate is a small set of old buildings just opposite All Saints Lane. These seem to have been demolished to widen the road and there are pencil lines on the 1850 map to suggest it was already planned. South of those buildings look substantial later buildings with front gardens (which were also eaten by the road widening). Not sure if any of that was useful.
Paynes Lane

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Street / road names and their origins
|

Next (newer) topic

3D models of Coventry
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category