No actionNo action
15 posts:
Order:    

bk
Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 15  Wed 24th Nov 2021 5:04pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2021  Total posts:7

Dear members My name is Ben Kyneswood from Cov Uni. I run the Coventry Digital website (and Coventry Atlas for that matter). I want to tell you about a few things I'll be doing soon, having being encouraged to do so by Rob. At the moment we're still building the repository, which is, atm, about 35,000 images. In the next week or so I'm delighted to tell you that we're going to publish about 4750 images from the Coventry Telegraph archive, courtesy of Reach Licensing. There are amazing images of the city before and after the war, plus coverage of most major post-war events in the city. Lots of football too. I hope you'll enjoy looking at and sharing the images as you already have via the embed and share buttons. Second, Reach have acquired and digitised the Arthur Cooper archive of about 10,000 glass plates from when he was photographer for, amongst others, the Coventry Standard. There's no info on these and so I'm building some software to allow some people to log in and add metadata before they are published on Coventry Digital. This should be in the New Year. I'm hoping some of you will get involved and share your knowledge so that the Cooper archive becomes a valuable city resource. You'd log in and choose the Cooper project, adding text next to an image to describe what you are looking at. Hopefully, that'll be names, dates, places plus personal reflections. I'm also keen to hear about how we can use the resource of Coventry Digital more: how might we link it to family archives and ensure stories are recorded for the future. Any ideas, please respond below or email ac4693@coventry.ac.uk. Thanks Ben
b p kyneswood

Coventry Digital
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
2 of 15  Wed 24th Nov 2021 5:24pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2878

Woohoo! Hi Ben. Wave As you may have guessed we're already fans. Between us I'm sure that we can help with some of the missing labels. I'm loving the higher resolution of some of those old photos. I can see bits of the city that were missing before. I've got my fingers crossed that some of the slum clearance pictures are there from the newspaper photos. Big grin
Coventry Digital
bk
Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 15  Wed 24th Nov 2021 5:56pm  

Hi Helen Thanks for the lovely comment. I'm really hoping people will find it a fun but serious thing to do. There's already the City Graphics images of slum clearances on Cov Dig. If you search 'city graphics' you'll find plenty there, such as this WH Smith's on Hertford Street, below: I've got a Twitter account @covdig and have just joined Facebook so I can begin to share more. I'm also hoping people will come to me with their contributions. I can make them a 'Contributor' to Cov Dig so they can drag and drop their own images to sit alongside those from the city archives. I love the idea of searching for a street and finding personal stories alongside old photographs etc. Best wishes Ben
b p kyneswood

Coventry Digital
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 15  Thu 25th Nov 2021 11:23am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2988

Hi Ben! Aha, great. I have been communicating with Victoria Northridge about the site as I know we here can assist in identifying and labelling lots of images on there that are either incorrectly tagged or just listed as Unknown. Victoria has already made some changes on my suggestion. She did mention to me about the Heritage Lottery Fund Grant for Digital Volunteers that I was awaiting approval for as myself, Rob, Helen and I'm sure many others on here would love to help updating and locating many of the collections - especially the City Architects and City Graphics sets. If you review this forum you will see tons of amazing information we have collated over the years which I'm sure would be of value to the site and The Herbert etc. I am local too and Rob and I have been in to the Herbert before. Happy to help in any way - just shout! Edited by member, 25th Nov 2021 3:42 pm
Coventry Digital
bk
Coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 15  Thu 25th Nov 2021 2:59pm  

Dear Neil Thanks for replying. Sadly we were unsuccessful with the NLHF bid for digital volunteers but I'm going to build the software anyway and see how we go, starting probably with the Arthur Cooper images. As you rightly say, many images at the archives are mislabelled. Victoria has changed, or asked me to change, metadata where we've been made aware, so thanks to you and the other members for that. The architects images are a very interesting set. Whilst we can say more about individual images, I'm also very interested in the stories these images prompt. Be good to collect some of those. I'll be in touch once I'm up and running. Best Ben
b p kyneswood

Coventry Digital
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
6 of 15  Thu 25th Nov 2021 3:32pm  

Thanks Ben - I'd still be happy to come in to the Herbert now and again to assist in identifying. Can't believe the bid was unsuccessful.
Coventry Digital
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
7 of 15  Thu 25th Nov 2021 7:45pm  

Sad about the funding Sad Rob can advise you on good candidates for picture volunteers. Often unknown pictures get discussed and located here anyway, so we could sort out complicated attributions as a group before presenting our conclusions. The hard part is to do it systematically as not all of them are numbered. Because of the nature of the software, any large search option, the thing gets slower and slower the more you load, so we couldn't start at one end and work our way through. The demise of Old Maps also makes things difficult, although I appreciate the ones added to the site. I notice that not all of the old pictures we were familiar with have been loaded yet, which is why I haven't done an intensive search for mistakes or gaps.
Coventry Digital
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
8 of 15  Fri 26th Nov 2021 11:21am  

Ben, we have a dream team here - me, Rob, Cliff and Helen as photo hunters and ID'ers, Heathite for the directories, Anne for the newspaper archives... the list goes on! Big grin
Coventry Digital
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
9 of 15  Fri 26th Nov 2021 12:48pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4920

… not to mention, some senior citizens Oh my
Coventry Digital
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
10 of 15  Fri 26th Nov 2021 1:46pm  

Absolutely MR! I'm lost after 1950 or beyond the old city. You, Harrier and others are experts on sports, transport and businesses, not to mention your own knowledges of the city and surrounds. WE are the dream team. Thumbs up
Coventry Digital
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
11 of 15  Fri 26th Nov 2021 2:47pm  

Yes, sorry Midland Red - I should've added Cliff x2! Big grin
Coventry Digital
bk
Coventry
All posts by this member
12 of 15  Mon 29th Nov 2021 6:42pm  

Thanks everyone. I'll certainly come calling once the Cooper archive is with me and I can, via the website, share. NLHF are a queer bunch. We offered a great deal (including outreach with two community venues) but they didn't see that as digital engagement (despite us saying some communities do need support at a basic level. That said, Coventry has received a lot of NLHF in the past few years to refurb Drapers Hall, Charterhouse and the cememtery, so any excuse not to spend money in Cov will do, so probably bad timing. I'm uploading some STUNNING images of the precinct tomorrow btw. Hopefully you'll enjoy them. I'll create a gallery for them. They came from the Architects' Dept slides. Any more info on them, do let me know. Ben
b p kyneswood

Coventry Digital
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
13 of 15  Mon 29th Nov 2021 9:10pm  

Digital engagement with those of the Third Age... or whatever they're calling the over 50s now...
Coventry Digital
bk
Coventry
All posts by this member
14 of 15  Tue 30th Nov 2021 11:54am  

Hi all - there's a new gallery of images from the Architecture and Planning Department of the Council. Remember it'll ask you to log in to look at individual assets and to click on the three little lines next to the search bar to select 'Newest First'. To whet your appetite, here's one of my favourites: Ben
b p kyneswood

Coventry Digital
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
15 of 15  Tue 30th Nov 2021 1:57pm  

Brill, Ben - you're stopping me from working! Big grin
Coventry Digital

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts