No actionNo action
65 posts:
Order:    

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
61 of 65  Fri 20th Sep 2019 6:26pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4192

Oh wuunderfull. Anne. Actually I cannot call anyone on spelling. Best wishes.
Holbrooks and Holbrook Lane
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
62 of 65  Fri 20th Sep 2019 9:01pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1544

No, nor me, Phil, that is why I worked with numbers, not words! And senior moments don’t help either. And very often my keyboard puts in different letters to the ones I type.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
63 of 65  Sat 21st Sep 2019 8:07am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3059

OddSock, Happened all the time - you got married, lived with parents until such times you could afford your own place, either to rent or buy. it was families helping one another.
OddSock
Coventry
All posts by this member
64 of 65  Thu 26th Sep 2019 11:06am  
Member: Joined Mar 2018  Total posts:11

Hi all, Sorry for the delay in replying - again, thank you to all those who posted in response to my question - much appreciated. Still puzzled as to why grandad took out a mortgage 1929/1930, but didn't appear on the Electoral Roll as living at Holborn Avenue until 1935 with the inbetween years seeing them listed at his parents' house in Eagle Street? Perhaps Anne is right when she says the Electoral Roll may not have been as accurate as possible? Or, if I'm being tongue firmly planted in cheek, perhaps the Electoral Roll man always called round when the two of them were visiting his parents!? I certainly don't think it took the builders five years to build the Holborn Avenue house, but, then again, they did build them to last in those days?? Big grin
Odd Sock (there

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
65 of 65  Thu 26th Sep 2019 11:57am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3059

Oddsock, At that time they used to advertise houses, and sell, before a turf had been dug off the field. You have to try and go back to those times to find out what the system was in those days. Too often I find that people can't grasp today the life of before the war to today's modern world. You can read about it, but can't grasp it, like I can't master today's technology. Look at your grandparents and see the gap. I hope I don't offend anyone, or try to lecture, but there is a huge difference, in thoughts, hopes and dreams in the last century. Today I am infuriated by my thoughts being broken by some near me and their hand-phones interrupting those thoughts, the lack of privacy, the lack of respect, the lack of honesty.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 61 to 65 of 65 posts

Page 5 of 5

1 2 3 4 5
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Spon End
|

Next (newer) topic

Humber Road