Next pageLast page
112 posts:
Order:    

sewall lad
coventry
All posts by this member
76 of 112  Thu 22nd Oct 2015 7:41am  
Member: Joined Feb 2015  Total posts:11

That is sad to hear but must have been a fair old age though. Did he teach English? I remember him being very keen on drama and being involved with the Criterion Theatre at the time. Did he have some story of escaping from a Stalag in WWII or am I getting mixed up with someone else? He was a good teacher and housemaster. Regards Sewall Lad
Caludon Castle School
mcsporran
Coventry & Cebu
All posts by this member
77 of 112  Thu 22nd Oct 2015 8:40am  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:332

Mr Bennett was one of the better teachers at Caludon. I believe he was a great influence in the choice of career of Ron Cook, the film and tv actor who was in my year at the school. IMDB entry Edited by member, 22nd Oct 2015 8:46 am
Caludon Castle School
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
78 of 112  Thu 22nd Oct 2015 4:00pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:475

I didn`t know Jeff Bennett personally, but am sad to hear of his passing. I often heard his name mentioned (enthusiastically) in passing by my father George Turner who was Housemaster of Preston (?) 50/60s at the time
Caludon Castle School
slash1
northampton
All posts by this member
79 of 112  Sat 24th Oct 2015 9:03am  
Member: Joined Apr 2011  Total posts:138

On 16th Mar 2015 8:01pm, Witherslack said: Greetings to all CC veterans. I stumbled on this site while looking for other information about post war Coventry. Was in the first cohort to Talbot house in 1955, group3 I think. Then on to Preston for the next 3 years. Not the most successful student to attend from the start but have nevertheless managed to enjoy a stable and rewarding career thanks in some part to those early influences. I agree with those who mention Geoff Bennett as a formative influence. Looking back I can remember some examples of his connection with those 150 boys who arrived in Sept. 1955 as nervous fuzzers as we were called. We were kept very busy. Inter - house sports, clubs and societies flourished and sometimes died with great rapidity. Mostly I remember the trips and adventures organised by Geoff Bennett. First was the YHA weekend trip to Broome Hall. On bikes of all shapes and sizes. Geoff Bennett had his Stallard which we all envied. Even then names mattered! Still have a box Brownie photo somewhere of us all at the cross in Snitterfield. Then a longer ride to Cleeve Hill. I seem to remember Tony Dickens losing control on the fast decent of the hill and ending up in a hedge. What I remember most was that we spent a great deal of time laughing at the stupid things 12 year old boys do when away from home, probably for the first time, without parents. It was freedom. Next a YHA trip to the Peak District. We biked to Ashbourne, left the bikes in a lock up and walked for five days to Ilam, Hartington etc. Somewhere in all this GB organised a weekend adventure competition. I came second with Don Gillespie for spending the night next to the ruins of Maxtoke Priory. The winners managed to reach the sea and return in two days. Wouldn't be allowed in today's safety and risk averse society. If anyone out there has any other memories of those trips I would love to hear them. Great and carefree days.
If I remember rightly, the two boys that won the competition cycled a very long way. I can't remember their names. Roger Ellis keeps coming into my head, would that ring any bells with you? Who was your form teacher in Talbot? Something in my head also tells me, albeit on a different occasion of someone being involved in a tragic cycling accident. Do you have any recollection of that? Where did you live? I lived in Sewall Highway.
Caludon Castle School
Blueleader
Coventry
All posts by this member
80 of 112  Sat 24th Oct 2015 6:13pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:39

Sad about Geoff Bennett passing away. I worked on the lighting backstage for a few school productions . I left in the 5th year in 1964. I lived in Sewall Highway too! A cally lad Ian Makin was knocked off his bike at the top of the hill in Sewall Highway/blackberry lane junction . A teacher from Cally was driving the car. Ian survived with serious head injuries. I also helped at the criterion theatre and new Ron Cook. Happy days!
Ric Osborne

Caludon Castle School
Martin Smith
Coventry
All posts by this member
81 of 112  Sat 31st Oct 2015 5:29pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2015  Total posts:1

Only just heard of the sad loss of who was arguably my favourite teacher at Cally, Geoff Bennett. He was my housemaster when I moved up from Talbot, (housemaster Derrick Siddal), into Morgan. He taught English, very interested in drama and played Rugby. I didn't know of his connection with the Criterion Theatre, else I would have tried to pop in and say hello. He was my housemaster until I left in 1974. Sad loss
Martin Smith

Caludon Castle School
gangan
Stockton, Southam
All posts by this member
82 of 112  Sat 31st Oct 2015 9:28pm  
Member: Joined May 2012  Total posts:126

In case there are any errant pupils who played Rugby for CCOBRFC, we are planning our 60th anniversary festivities. Contact me for details or visit Castle Old Boys RFC face book page. We should be proud that CCOBRFC was the first comprehensive school to form an OBRFC
Caludon Castle School
RichM
Goole
All posts by this member
83 of 112  Sat 26th Dec 2015 5:38pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2015  Total posts:4

Raymond Gamble Hi don't know if anyone remembers my mate Raymond Gamble who went to Caludon Castle 1958-1962. Any info gratefully received. Rich M

Question

Caludon Castle School
andyo123
leicestershire
All posts by this member
84 of 112  Mon 1st Feb 2016 2:47pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2016  Total posts:3

I was at cally from 64 to 69, started at chester then preston. mr tilley was the head. I remember beb brown for french, put me off for life, and mr creek was my house master, i recall playing chess with him and took his queen after 5 mins, he gave me a credit slip or whatever they were called in those days. went to Coventry connecticut in 68 on an exchange trip, are they still going. Some pupils in my class were mike healy, chris smith, jed flanagan, alan docker, brent kirton, john hillyer, charles brookes, roger henderson, many names forgotten but if I remember i'll add them later. Ted Titt, lovely man lived near me and was a friend of my dads, he caned me for smoking in the toilets, but never told my parents, a real lovely chap.
andy

Caludon Castle School
Ace
Nuneaton
All posts by this member
85 of 112  Tue 2nd Feb 2016 8:11pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2012  Total posts:73

I have read elsewhere of Beb Browns passing. Died in October and still in mortuary in December, had no family or friends. I do remember him as a loner at school, always sat in the language lab on his own eating by himself. Sad end.
Caludon Castle School
SirH
Goettingen, Germany
All posts by this member
86 of 112  Fri 5th Feb 2016 4:10pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2016  Total posts:1

On 11th Mar 2015 10:07am, Wimero said: Hi all Just discovered this brilliant site..... Some of my cohorts there were: Bry Walker (my best mate), Kev Sidwell, Dave Pullen, Dave Gray, Bob Sadler, Nick Woodier, Paul Jephcote, Ray Cooper, Mick Healy, Mick Henley, Dave Cockburn, Gary Watts, Mick Jephcote, Steve Osbourne, Gray Williams, Pete Jones, Dave Selman, Derek More, Keith Elsmore, Kings Wood, John Robinson. Ended up in Morgan with Lofty Summers the Housemaster.
Hi Wimero, I´ve just discovered this site. I´m one of the chaps you mentioned above (6th name). Ex Berkley and then Clifford. I still have contact with Ray Cooper who has been in S.A. since 1972 and I have been in Germany since 1977. Also have contact with Dave Gray, Paul Jephcote, will follow contact now through this site.
SirH

Caludon Castle School
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
87 of 112  Fri 5th Feb 2016 4:54pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3839

Hello & welcome to our forum, SirH Wave Thank you for your post. Wave Thumbs up
Caludon Castle School
Gumnut
Moruya NSW Australia
All posts by this member
88 of 112  Fri 5th Feb 2016 11:52pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2014  Total posts:25

Hmmmm Beb Brown! The man terrorised me for French lessons during the early 80's. Of the teachers I had he's the one I can still remember very clearly, and all for the wrong reasons I'm afraid. I used to think he took great pleasure in seeing the fear in a 12 years olds eyes. Loathing comes to mind!! As an adult I can see that his manner was just his way and nothing was personal, but the thoughts can still give a little shudder. I didn't take French as an opted lesson as you can imagine Oh my
Caludon Castle School
DAVID MARLEY
GERMANY
All posts by this member
89 of 112  Sat 6th Feb 2016 5:01am  
Member: Joined May 2013  Total posts:3

I went to Cally in whatever year as I have a bad memory. But I still have my school report somewhere and I am 65 this year. I remember being in Berkeley, Blob Davies, Hank Johnson, Mr. Knight, Tilley the big boss man and as a librarian I recall the name of Mr. Tidy running the library. I believe Caludon was the first comprehensive school to have a language lab. I opted to learn French instead of German with I forgot his name. I got a low CSE in French. After serving my apprenticeship at Bristol Siddeley in Parkside later to become Rolls Royce (1971) I worked for 20 years as a skilled inspector before setting up as a furniture shop owner after my brother Allan helped me. Then after selling the lease became a self employed taxi driver. Then left Cov for a new life in Tenerife. Worked as a DJ (as I did for 30 years in Cov) including the Locarno with Pete Waterman and The TIC TOC. Barman, supermarket worker, photographer, but the best job was as a jeep safari driver and English guide, taking people up Mount Teide and to the next island La Gomera in a Land Rover Defender open top jeep after 20 years shut up in a factory!! Bought our dream house in the mountains 850 feet above sea level with no English people within miles. Learnt to speak Spanish the hard way. Lost my work due to the recession. Relocated to Germany and like it here. The beer is cheaper than the bottled water. And to be honest the Germans are not what you see hogging the sunbeds, they are very polite here. Where would a complete stranger talk or let alone buy you a drink in the UK if they had never met you? The moral of the story? I should have learnt German as I now live here. Oh well ce la vie!!
Caludon Castle School
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
90 of 112  Sat 6th Feb 2016 10:37am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3839

Hello & welcome to you DAVID MARLEY Wave I knew several members of staff, some of who you mention. Mr Tidy, the librarian also encouraged cycling, & often invited youngsters from various schools to go with him on weekend trips, using YHA facilities from time to time. Thank you for your post. Thumbs up
Caludon Castle School

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 76 to 90 of 112 posts

Page 6 of 8

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Pool Meadow
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry out and about
View similar topics in the Schools and Education category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 59ms)